Van Der Graaf Generator - 68-71 CD (album) cover

Van Der Graaf Generator

3 stars This compilation gives an insight of the early days of this great band.

Two songs from their first album (which will take some time to be released in Europe) : "Afterwards" and "Necromancer" : two good songs but not the best ones from this work (I think "Running Black" and "Aquarian" would have fit better).

Half of this compilation comes from "The Least..." which is fine (although I would have like to see "After The Flood" instead of "Whatever ...". "The Boat..." is a left over from the studio sessions. It is not a bad song (but still is a leftover...). It will be released as B-side of the single "Refugees". "Refugees" is for me, the best song from VDGG (first era), so I can only be happy it sits here.

"Killer" and "Lost" are two great numbers from "H To He". No discussion about that (although The Emperor...). I am not quite sure that this first compilation is very useful nowadays. Maybe at the time of release for songs that were not available but in the meantime "The Aerosol" can easily be found (see my review for this album for more info) and "The Boat" will appear on the remastered version of "The Least...).

Three stars.