68-71

Van Der Graaf Generator 68-71 album cover

Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1972

1. Afterwards (4:56)
2. The Boat of Millions of Years (3:49)
3. Whatever Would Robert Have Said? (6:03)
4. Lost (10:27)
5. Necromancer (3:36)
6. Refugees (6:18)
7. Darkness (11/11) (7:24)
8. Killer (8:16)

Search VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR 68-71 lyrics

Search VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR 68-71 tabs

- Peter Hammill / vocals, guitars, keyboards
- Guy Evans / drums
- Hugh Banton / organ, bass pedals and guitar
- David Jackson / saxes, flutes (2-4,6 & 10)
- Keith Ellis / bass (1,5)
- Nic Poter / bass (3-8)

and to easy livin for the last updates

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR 68-71 Music

68-71 (Sixty Eight To Seventy One)68-71 (Sixty Eight To Seventy One)
Charisma
CD alt ~ USD $15.01
LP h to he, who am i the only one ~ USD $22.21
LP the least we can do is wave each other ~ USD $24.69
LP visions ~ USD $22.58

More places to buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR music online Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR 68-71 ratings distribution

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR 68-71 reviews

Review by Seyo
4 stars I totally agree with Steve's review on this. This was my first VdGG experience and I would recommend to all uninitiated to get the same path. Thereafter you can go to explore "Aerosol", "Least We Can" and "H to He" in that order. Excellent introduction to this unique band, plus containing single-only "Boat of Millions of Years".

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#7901) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 29, 2005

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This compilation gives an insight of the early days of this great band.

Two songs from their first album (which will take some time to be released in Europe) : "Afterwards" and "Necromancer" : two good songs but not the best ones from this work (I think "Running Black" and "Aquarian" would have fit better).

Half of this compilation comes from "The Least..." which is fine (although I would have like to see "After The Flood" instead of "Whatever ...". "The Boat..." is a left over from the studio sessions. It is not a bad song (but still is a leftover...). It will be released as B-side of the single "Refugees". "Refugees" is for me, the best song from VDGG (first era), so I can only be happy it sits here.

"Killer" and "Lost" are two great numbers from "H To He". No discussion about that (although The Emperor...). I am not quite sure that this first compilation is very useful nowadays. Maybe at the time of release for songs that were not available but in the meantime "The Aerosol" can easily be found (see my review for this album for more info) and "The Boat" will appear on the remastered version of "The Least...).

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#107666) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Hair raising stuff

This was my introduction to the strange world of Van Der Graaf Generator. Released in 1972, the album retailed at a budget price, purporting to represent the best of the band up until that point. The tracks selected are taken from the first three albums, but not the 1971 album "Pawn Hearts".

What I particularly like about this collection is the fact that it was compiled by the band. At the time of it's release, VDGG's first album "The aerosol grey machine" had not been released in the UK due to contractual issues. It would eventually appear in 1973, after Hammill had negotiated himself out of the contact he had enter alone. The two tracks from it included here, "Afterwards" and "Necromancer", were therefore rarities as far as UK fans were concerned. Early US versions of the first album omitted "Necromancer", replacing it with "Giant squid". The other rarity here is "Boat of a million years", which originally appeared only as the B side of a single version of "Refugees".

Almost half of each the "H to He." and "The least we can do.." albums is here, the total running time of almost 51 minutes making for excellent value for an LP. While the band were never considered to be commercial, it is admirable to find a feast of long tracks included, even the single "Theme one" is overlooked.

As a collection, this album works well on two levels. It offers a superb introduction to this unique group and it stands as a coherent and enjoyable experience in its own right. If only all compilations were put together this well!

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#134912) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 26, 2007

4 stars I was always very fond of this compilation. For many years it was impossible to find a copy of aerosol gray machine in the UK, so this was the only place you could find the Necromancer and Afterwords both excellent tracks. The boat of millions of years was also on the surprisingly rare and even ... (read more)

Report this review (#146711) | Posted by burgersoft777 | Wednesday, October 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Well, I don't know about this one. I never liked compilations especially when it comes to progressive rock. This one includes songs from the first three Van Der Graaf studio albums. All tracks are brilliant but why not get the actual albums? I really think you'll get a much better idea since t ... (read more)

Report this review (#103427) | Posted by sularetal | Sunday, December 17, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Friends, Owning most VDGG albums and having first seen the band in the early seventies when their tour-de-force sound was as mesmeric as Tangerine Dream's "cathedral" gigs in the UK around that time, I would recommend this album, "as a taster", to anyone contemplating a first-time experienc ... (read more)

Report this review (#7900) | Posted by | Saturday, January 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR "68-71"