The Alan Parsons Project - The Turn Of A Friendly Card CD (album) cover

The Alan Parsons Project

4 stars 3.5 STARS

Good album from Alan Parsons. Here we have find several instrumental pieces, and a long suite, something that the band will not repeat in the future. The opening track is a good one, with a great intro, in the "old" Parsons format. Games people play is the most known number, and is good too, with this atmospheric sound that Alan can easily reach. Time, is a fine ballad, but for me, with the years it has turned a bit repetitive. I don't wanna go home is nothing special, nothing prog too. Much different is the Gold bug, a stunning instrumental, a tipical Parsons number, even with a good sax section. Finally is the suite The turn of a friendly card. Maybe more than a suite I could call it a sucesion of songs hooked itself. The initial track (with the same musical motive that the last) is really amazing, a great melody with some flutes emulations. Snake eyes is a rocking track based on electrical riffs. The ace of sword is a superb intstrumental piece (I would like it would be longer). Nothing left to lose is a rather ballad with this trademark that is the fantastic vocalization of Eric Woolfson, great song, and finally the highlight of the album is the reprise of the suite intro. Here everything is great and prog. After the extraordinary melody line, the track gets into an instrumental piece, which is simply great. First the electric solo and then the orchestra, with this amazing brass sound.

genbanks | 4/5 |