Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick CD (album) cover

Jethro Tull

Prog Folk

4 stars Jethro Tull is a band that has not really appealed to me all that much. I don't know what it is about them, maybe it's the lyrics or the voice of Ian Anderson. That's not to say he isn't talented, he certainly knows how to write a song ... and play the flute. I'm just not the biggest Tull fan, however, I'll admit this is a great album, their best by far. What started as a satire of the excess which progressive rock music contained became one of the greatest examples of the genre.

The instrumentation is much more impressive this time around. Part Two has a fast drum solo that is always enjoyable to hear. Lyrics are plentiful on this album, and at times they are smart and witty. Both parts together make up 43 minutes, making it a very long song, if you consider it to be one continuous piece of music.

Thick As A Brick doesn't have very many faults. I'm giving this album a 4-star rating only because I don't think it holds up to other masterpieces of the genre such as Close To The Edge and Selling England By The Pound. But it deserves to be recognized for what it is, a milestone.

thebig_E | 4/5 |