Marillion - Holidays in Eden  CD (album) cover

HOLIDAYS IN EDEN

Marillion

shyman
3 stars "Season's end" supposed a change both in vocalist and in style. Now the band had a less exentric vocalist and a more approachable style. I have no problem with the change of vocalist, I still insist on the fact that I'm not a fan of Fish' vocal style. But I'm not exactly convinced with the change of style. While the previous album was stylistically different from anything released when Fish was a member, it was still a powerful and consistent album, with its flaws, but still pretty good. With the present album we can't say the same thing. Although this album has truly enjoyable moments and still preserves the genuine Marillion sound, it is a bland and probably one of the weakest moves from the band. It is full of romantic and previsible songs. The first thing is good, the second not so.

If you are an avid fan of Marillion, you probably won't dislike this record so much but you will agree that there are better efforts in the band catalogue, either with Fish or with Steve H.

If you are simply a prog listener, you will find some pieces of good sound, but overall, you will find this album quite bland.

Well, fortunately they would mend their mistakes later.

shyman | 3/5 |