Genesis - We Can't Dance  CD (album) cover

WE CAN'T DANCE

Genesis

Tom Ozric
3 stars Naturally, being one of THE most important prog-rock groups in history, Genesis are responsible for astonishing one's mind for the better, and for the worse.... I deeply enjoy their 70's albums , and select tracks from the 80's albums, but I don't go for the commercially successful ' Invisible Touch' (which is way too plastic and contrived in my mind, with Banks, Collins and Rutherford obviously lying to themselves...) but 'We Can't Dance' is a 50/50 assessment....

It has its fair share of 'Hit Singles', which were more acceptable than previously. What I enjoy with this release is the compromise between commercial acceptance, and the will to produce intelligent prog-related pieces, as they have given us with this album ; 'Driving the Last Spike', 'Dreaming While You Sleep', and 'Fading Lights'. Whilst being the longest compositions of this double LP, they are a satisfactory balance between engaging prog- rock, and accessible 'pedestrian' related entertainment. Genesis fans will of-course enjoy this release, prog-heads, maybe, some will enjoy, and others will pass it by. I respect it for what it is, and, allocate it a 3 star evaluation. And I agree it's the most exciting material since 'Duke'. Not bad at all, provided you are not that hard to please.........

Tom Ozric | 3/5 |