Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) CD (album) cover

Steven Wilson

4 stars The Raven that Refused to Sing is the latest solo release from the iconic Mr. Wilson, whose leverage and influence seem to be increasing with every passing year. This album is a miracle of brevity: exactly as long as it should be with barely a wasted note or idea. Intense, technically superb, a sonic masterpiece; virtuosic performances and jaw-dropping solos...everything that the bloated Grace for Drowning was not. It makes for compelling listening from the opening sequence of "Luminol" to the poignantly beautiful title track...and yet for all its technical brilliance, I cannot love it. It does not speak to the heart, only to the rational mind, as if all the emotional hooks have been polished away. I expect I am in a minority here, but if an album holds little emotional resonance for me all the technical genius in the world cannot save it. Therefore Raven... cannot achieve the highest rating--in fact, it only ranked 8th in my Top 10 albums of the year.
ergaster | 4/5 |