Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III CD (album) cover

Led Zeppelin

3 stars For me, Led Zeppelin III is the weakest of their initial 4 classic releases. It took me a while to post my review of this one; it's been written for weeks. I guess I don't want to spend time posting reviews that are simply a laundry list of negatives. It's still Led Zeppelin, one of the most influential bands in rock music history. It earns 3 stars in my book; it's just not up to the level of the others. There is a lot of folk/blues on this record, but Led Zeppelin had already covered that territory before. Led Zeppelin II was more varied and more of a step forward.

Led Zeppelin III does contain a few of their classic tracks. "Gallows Pole" and the lovely "Tangerine" are real gems. They are preceded by "Since I've Been Loving You", one of their best tracks IMO. It's without a doubt one of the best melodies Jimmy Page ever wrote. I don't mean to be severely critical of Led Zeppelin III. Almost all of Led Zeppelin's output is excellent. Although this album may not achieve the same level of artistry as its siblings, they are all cornerstones in the development of heavy metal. Therefore, Led Zeppelin gets a solid 3 stars.

thwok | 3/5 |