Hawkwind - It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous CD (album) cover

IT IS THE BUSINESS OF THE FUTURE TO BE DANGEROUS

Hawkwind

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Tom Ozric
5 stars For the un-initiated, purchasing a Hawkwind album can be a definate 'hit and miss' affair. Whilst I am very surprised to see such a low rating for such a tremendous Space-Rock album, 'It is the Business of the Future....' is one of my select favourites (along with 'Electric Tepee', 'Levitation', 'Warrior....' ) from the 30-odd Hawk LP's I own, so I guess this rating/review is quite biased, but I'd be lying to myself by not backing it up 100 %.

Down to a trio, consisting of mainstay Dave Brock (vocals/guitar/keyboards/synths), Alan Davey (bass/backing vox/wave sequencing/synths) and Richard Chadwick (drums/perc./vocal) the Hawkwind universe has never sounded so 'complete' - by having just the three of them, there were (seemingly) less hassles and more focus, especially with Brock and Davey totally immersing themselves, almost full-swing, with classic analogue and modern digital synthesizer technology - creating intense, spacey atmospheres like no other band I've heard, incorporating subtle guitars and bass, and Richard C providing a solid back-bone to the hypnotic, almost mantric-like synth work - this is indeed true for LP1, totally instrumental for 35 min. and engaging all the way. Record 2 is the more song- oriented half of the release, that said, there's still a few instrumental tracks. Some tracks feature lyrics from older songs, and there is even a Stones cover with 'Gimme Shelter', sung by the drummer (not a bad voice, I must say). Highly experimental, incredibly clever and well crafted, the album is totally different to their earlier albums, but at the same time remains distinctively 'Hawkwind'. I cannot bring myself to rating this release any lower than 5, even though many folks may find it too meandering. Stunning cover-art by Alan Arthurs (as usual).

Tom Ozric | 5/5 |