Marillion - This Strange Engine  CD (album) cover

THIS STRANGE ENGINE

Marillion

Bupie
4 stars It took quite a while for this album to grow on me. Nine years actually .

Back in time. 1994 : Marillion releases Brave. Buy it immediately. Get so disappointed that I loose my faith in the band. Don't even notice the release on Afraid of Sunlight the next year. 1997 : walking in a music store, I have my eye attracted by the cover of TSE. Find it nice. Decide to take my chance. Give it a couple of spins but it doesn't raise my interest. Put it on my CD's shelf besides Brave. End of my love affair with Marillion.

2006. Changes in my life. Alone again. Return to prog. Decide to try Brave one more time. Still can't enter it. Put it back on the shelf an pick TSE. And finally the click : it's good, it's even very good. It is fresh and diverse, showcasing all the band's abilities. It can be rocking ("An Accidental Man"), moving ("One Fine Day"), poppy ("80 Days"), groovy ("Hope for the Future") or blending ("TSE"). It's a mature album from a mature band.

Since this reconciliation, I have purchased all the Marillion's albums that I had missed for almost a decade. Gave them a couple of spins but they didn't raise my interest. Put them on the shelf but I don't care : time is on my side ... This was the story of one fine day when I rediscovered Marillion.

Bupie | 4/5 |