Traffic - Shoot Out at the Fantasy Factory CD (album) cover

3 stars Sometimes they feel so uninspired... as this album is so overrated...

It's probably the worst Traffic effort before Far From Home, and surely the worst album of the 70's decade, perhaps togheter with When The Eagle Flies. But Traffic is one of my all-time favourite bands, and I couldn't give under three stars to a Traffic album.

I've tried and tried, again and again, this fragile CD, but yet I can't find the taste that Traffic uses to show me, as Traffic (1968), John Barleycorn or Low Spark (their last respectable work, undoubtely). Practically, everytime I listen to it, is just to hear "Evening Blue", the only good track for me. The rest is an efective way to fill an album: "Rollright Stone" is an uninspirely expanded track, always changing and never taking some direction. "Sometimes I feel..." and the self-titled track are easy-listening songs, nothing interesting, rather boring; and "Tragic Magic" is such the rest of the songs, but without the Winwood's voice.

Good, but non-essential, is the correct definition, and the last title can tell you why.

sircosick | 3/5 |