Camel - The Snow Goose CD (album) cover

4 stars A definite improvement over the uneven and sometimes gauche 'Mirage', CAMEL'S 'The Snow Goose' is best listened to in its entirety. Gentle musical themes wind their way from track to track, bringing a sense of symphonic continuity to what is clearly a concept album. No one track stands out, though some of the more well known tracks, such as 'Rhyader', 'The Snow Goose' and 'Flight of the Snow Goose', introduce the main themes. Each track segues into the next to create an organic whole unlike anything CAMEL had previously done.

I have to admit to having trouble with this album. The story of the Snow Goose was one of my favourites as a child, and I associate quite different music with the story. So it was only when I could ignore the concept and let the music tell its own story that I began to appreciate this album.

Neither this album nor any of CAMEL'S catalogue will satisfy those whose musical taste runs more to high drama and dynamic range. However, for a melodic, highly competent interlude from moe demanding music, you can't go past CAMEL'S 'The Snow Goose'. Except for CAMEL'S 'Moonmadness', of course.

russellk | 4/5 |