Saga - Silent Knight  CD (album) cover

SILENT KNIGHT

Saga

Menswear
5 stars The other side of Neo-Prog.

Just like Marillion, I think Saga deserves a royal place at the table of Neo-Prog founders; except that they have one hundred percent original material... and they came way before. I didn't heard anything (yet) that could relate to their blend of energetic vocals, explosive keyboards, loud drums fills and intelligent guitar solos.

Many quality Canadian bands flew under the radar in the 80's, but Saga is leading the grand march with a complete package of enigmatic imagery (magnificent art cover and just looooove the sci-fi firefly theme) and emotionnal music. It's a pretty big sound for the time, I'm impressed by their bombastic material. Don't forget the thoughtful lyrics, with many winks to Albert Einstein too!

A very persuasive record, with tons of juicy axe licks (who inspired Doug Ott from Enchant) and very good use of 'plastic' keyboards for a change.

That album won me at the first song. It's THAT good.

Menswear | 5/5 |