Saga - Images At Twilight CD (album) cover

IMAGES AT TWILIGHT

Saga

Menswear
2 stars *Meh*

Saga is a proud survivor of a dying genre: the pop-prog. Many attempted from Rush, Kayak, Styx, Kansas, Triumph, Asia and Supertramp. They all succeeded in many levels, nonetheless the exploit of drawing girls to their shows. They also disapointed many hard rock fans looking for more crunch and aggressivity.

I have to admit that Saga is more for the softie: pompous singing, catchy choruses and plastic keyboards. You absolutely cannot commit a crime listening to this, nor making love for that matter. It has that 'Hold Your Fire' by Rush feel that leaves a 'meh' feeling afterwards.

Despite the lack of badassery, Saga is confirming their ability to play tight and dynamic light prog. I personnally prefer the next album, but this one has at least 2 fantastic numbers: Images and Mouse in a Maze. Those two songs are heavy staples of Saga's dark side, and this is the side I prefer. When Saga is sad, they have an impressive power of melancholia that I find attractive.

A tad disappointing, I wanted something darker but the art cover is a-ma-zing.

Menswear | 2/5 |