Nightwish - Once CD (album) cover

1 stars I regret buying this album.

The tone of the guitar is not to my liking. It is a very raw sound, but has some quality that disgusts me, I can't quite put my name on it (reminiscent of Metallica). The guitar is a major sound here too. A violent, distorted, growling, belching noise which makes me cringe.

The synths are typical of this type of metal. Often, they are rather ambient.

Nightwish do not "show off" their musicianship nearly as much as many prog-metal bands (symphony x, for example). Likely, there is not as much to show off.

If you are a fan of Metallica and symphonic metal, this album may please you. I don't, it's a style I kind of outgrew.

Ultimately, I rate this album so poorly because of standard composition, poor writing (lyrically and musically), and lack of imagination.

Prince_Rupert | 1/5 |