Queen - You're My Best Friend / '39 CD (album) cover

3 stars "You`re my Best Friend" was composed by John Deacon, and it is also one of my favourite songs from Queen, and it was a good choice of a song to be released as a single. A melodic song, simple, and with some Pop Rock influences, with a Wurlitzer electric piano played by Deacon. It is maybe one of the most famous songs from the band from the seventies, and with "Spread Your Wings", in my opinion it is also one of the best songs that Deacon (who was not a very prolific songwriter in comparison to the other members of the band) composed. It was played in an abridged form in some of the live recordings that I have listened from this song, and with Freddie Mercury playing a Grand Piano instead because he did not like the sound of the Wurlitzer..

The "B" side, "`39", is a song composed by Brian May and with lead vocals by him. It is a song with some Folk Rock influences, played with acoustic guitar and with good backing vocals. It also was played by the band in concert very often but with lead vocals by Mercury instead of May..

Guillermo | 3/5 |