YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND / '39

Queen

Queen You're My Best Friend / '39 album cover

Buy QUEEN Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 1976

1. You're My Best Friend (2:50)
2. '39 (3:25)

- John Deacon / bass
- Roger Taylor / drums, vocals

7'' EMI 2494 (UK)

Thanks to clarke2001 for the addition

QUEEN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy QUEEN You're My Best Friend / '39 Music

45vinylrecord You're My Best Friend/39 (745vinylrecord You're My Best Friend/39 (7"/45 rpm)
ELEKTRA
Vinyl$4.95 (used)
You're My Best Friend / '39You're My Best Friend / '39
ELEKTRA E-45318
Vinyl$3.49 (used)
you're my best friend / 39 45 rpm singleyou're my best friend / 39 45 rpm single
ELEKTRA\/WARNER-PIONEER
Vinyl$24.99 (used)

More places to buy QUEEN music online Buy QUEEN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for QUEEN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

QUEEN You're My Best Friend / '39 ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(21%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(32%)

QUEEN You're My Best Friend / '39 reviews

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'You're My Best Friend / '39' - Queen (Single)

While the song that most people are going to be more familiar with here is 'You're My Best Friend' (one of the band's most commercially sucessful and accessible songs,) the song here that really shines is actually the b-side, '39.' While it's never received much attention, it stands as being one of my favourite Queen songs.

The song is in the sub-genre of 'filk,' a type of folk that revolves around science fiction and storytelling. To summarize, '39' tells the story of space explorers who travel at speeds faster than light for a year... However, when they get back, due to time dilation, while only a year has passed for them, many have passed back home on Earth, and everyone they knew is dead. While the song is short, the way it tells the story is very well done, and this is one of the few times we hear Brian May sing! In a way, I think that Freddy would have not worked for the song, as he is too theatrical for it. Brian May's voice is down to earth and works perfectly for the storyline.

'You're My Best Friend' is a catchy song and uplifting, but doesn't have the replay value of '39' of many other songs. Perfect choice for a hit single though, and this song gave 'A Night At The Opera' some of the attention it needed to suceed.

Both good songs, but one is clearly better than the other.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#279159) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 23, 2010

Review by Guillermo
3 stars "You`re my Best Friend" was composed by John Deacon, and it is also one of my favourite songs from Queen, and it was a good choice of a song to be released as a single. A melodic song, simple, and with some Pop Rock influences, with a Wurlitzer electric piano played by Deacon. It is maybe one of the most famous songs from the band from the seventies, and with "Spread Your Wings", in my opinion it is also one of the best songs that Deacon (who was not a very prolific songwriter in comparison to the other members of the band) composed. It was played in an abridged form in some of the live recordings that I have listened from this song, and with Freddie Mercury playing a Grand Piano instead because he did not like the sound of the Wurlitzer..

The "B" side, "`39", is a song composed by Brian May and with lead vocals by him. It is a song with some Folk Rock influences, played with acoustic guitar and with good backing vocals. It also was played by the band in concert very often but with lead vocals by Mercury instead of May..

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#1149538) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 17, 2014

Post a review of QUEEN "You're My Best Friend / '39"