Opeth - Blackwater Park CD (album) cover

BLACKWATER PARK

Opeth

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

asimplemistake
5 stars If you read almost any other review about this album, you will quickly see that it doesn't take a death metal fan to love one of Opeth's albums. The reason I personally love this album is the sound that Opeth has. It's so much different from all the other Progressive Metal bands out there. Opeth has mastered the technique of changing dynamics quickly but in a way that maintains the musicality of a piece.

In "The Drapery Falls" there's a lot of loud and soft and loud and soft which I really enjoy. "The Leper Affinity" has some of the coolest riffs and licks I've ever heard (especially through good headphones) and "Blackwater Park" is just one of the greatest songs I have ever heard. There is a huge amount of emotion expressed in the song, whether it be angst, melancholy, fear, depression.

As a side topic, many people say "Harvest", one of the softer pieces, sounds like something from Opeth's "Damnation" album, but I disagree. This song, although soft, is based around strumming, bass, and the singing. In "Damnation", there aren't any songs with strumming (well, no songs based around a strummed chord change). I find the strumming in this particular song to be very enjoyable. "Harvest" has to be one of my favorite songs.

So, if you are one of those people who wont listen to Opeth because of their Death Metal label, you might want to go searching again. If you need to, just avoid the grunts and pay attention to the intricate guitar riffs. Once you understand why others like this band so much, you just might, too. Although this album is the slightest bit less than Ghost Reveries, it is still deserving of the title "Masterpiece of Progressive Music".

asimplemistake | 5/5 |