Genesis - Nursery Cryme CD (album) cover

5 stars NURSERY CRIME has been the first album with the classic GENESIS line-up made up of PETER GABRIEL (chant, flute), PHIL COLLINS (drums/background chant), TONY BANKS (keyboards), MIKE RUTHERFORD (bass, some guitar) and a new guitarist who had come for ANTHONY PHILLIPS who had left the band after the its second album TRESPASS: STEVE HACKETT, one of the world's finest guitarists, if you ask me.

NURSERY CRIME may be GENESIS' most melancholic album, maybe that is the reason why I like it that much, I do not know, however, it contains some of the finest Genesis-songs like "The Musical Box" (Genesis' first true epic song, I think), "The Retrun Of The Giant Hogweed" or the very, very beautiful "The Fountain Of Salmacis". The demanding lyrics and the usually complex music fulfill a symbiosis on this CD. What comes out of this all is a stirring, very emotional album with many peaks and many calm songs. Each epic is followed by one or two shorter songs, for example the beautiful title "Harlequin" really hits the spot after such a hectic, crazy, but very cool song like "Harold The Barrel". As you will hear, the tracklist could not have been chosen better, this one has truly become my favourite GENESIS-album.

I strongly recommend you this album, it is a true masterpiece, get it! Five stars!

Badabec | 5/5 |