David Gilmour - David Gilmour CD (album) cover

DAVID GILMOUR

David Gilmour

russellk
2 stars A revealing album in so many ways.

It shows us DAVID GILMOUR'S heart lies squarely in standard rock territory, and alerts us to the fact (which becomes pertinent in the 1980s) that he is not the creative force behind PINK FLOYD.

It also shows us what he offers PINK FLOYD: accessibility, professionalism and excellent guitar skills. But we knew that.

And it shows us that GILMOUR hasn't got a lot to say.

All that said, this is a pleasant listen. There are none of the shocking moments that made PINK FLOYD such a revolutionary, often-imitated band, nor any of the grand lyrical conceits. Instead GILMOUR offers tight, controlled and ultimately meaningless music. Oddly, there are none of the searing solos GILMOUR trademarked in PINK FLOYD; the sound is more like 'Obscured by Clouds' than anything. But there are moments of beauty, and certainly much of the disc is smooth AOR. Sandwiched between 'Animals' and 'The Wall', however, this eponymous album suffers in comparison.

russellk | 2/5 |