David Gilmour - David Gilmour In Concert CD (album) cover

David Gilmour

4 stars What an intriguing DVD this is.

Rightly, the performances and the extras highlight DAVID GILMOUR'S stellar guitar work. We all know he's not the most technically proficient guitarist in rock, but he is one of the best guitar players. By that I mean he plays with real emotion.

But the best thing about this excellent DVD are the reinterpretations of classic tracks. 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' gets a sublime rendering, particularly the second part. I'm less happy with the two versions of 'Comfortably Numb': I'm impressed by neither ROBERT WYATT nor BOB GELDOF, though the latter turns in a better performance. I would have thought WYATT would learn his lines, though: singing off a piece of paper isn't a good look.

Ultimately, this is GILMOUR doing what he does best - delivering solid, no-nonsense and above all smooth music. Buy this DVD and watch a master at work - and, if you're a guitarist or appreciate the finer points of music-making, catch the extras offered here. I honestly think this is the best thing offered by the DAVID GILMOUR brand.

russellk | 4/5 |