Tool - Opiate (EP) CD (album) cover

OPIATE (EP)

Tool

Experimental/Post Metal

Disconnect
3 stars I had heard a great deal about this EP from other Tool fans and decided to check it out. Unfortunately I was pretty let down. It's not really prog, but that is not my main issue with it. I think the quality of the recording (since it is mostly live) is lacking low end. It sounds shrill throughout and is a difficult listen in that regard. The quality of the songs is not terrible, but it doesn't match their later output by any means.

If you are a die-hard fan of the band or just one of those people that insists on having everything they put out, then get it. But if your favorite Tool albums are "AEnima" or "Undertow", then you are most likely not going to like this EP. It is nowhere near as good.

Disconnect | 3/5 |