The Doors - Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine CD (album) cover

WEIRD SCENES INSIDE THE GOLD MINE

The Doors

Proto-Prog

ZowieZiggy
3 stars Since Jim died recently, their record company could not wait longer to release a compilation effort to capitalize on Jim's sad end. I guess that, marketing wise, it was a good idea.

To make this compilation appealing to collectors, it contains two B-sides numbers : "Who Scared You" and "Don't Go No Further". The first one has a nice groovy tempo, the mood is bluesy but interesting. Good work from Krieger and some brass can also be heard in the background (remember "The Soft Parade"). Actually, this number wold have really deserved to have fit in there. It could have easily replaced "Wishful Sinful" (the A-side of this single !) or "Easy Ride" IMO.

I am so enthusiastic about "Don't Go No Further". It has the the flavour of their last album L.A. Woman which sounded too much blues-oriented. This is 100% blues classic, on the heavy side like they were often used to. Not essential by any means.

Something great here : thanks to its format (a double vinyl album) we are lucky to get "The End" as well as "When The Music's Over". These are of course the central pieces of this release. Two great rock songs all time, no doubt.

Some great numbers are featured here as well as : "Break On Trough", "Strange Days", "Love Her Madly", "L.A. Woman", "Riders on the Storm" and "Maggie McGill". Other tracks are not so great and might not appeal to the casual Doors fan.

At the time of release, it was really complementary to "Thirteen", the first Doors compilation. None of the tracks are on both ones (on purpose I guess). This is sufficiently rare to be mentioned. It might have been a good idea to have released both of them on a double CD but as far as I know, none will get on CD.

So, my recommendation is the same : get "The Best Of The Doors" (on a single or double CD). If you are a collectionist, you might get "Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine" rather cheap though on the web (from as little as 11 ?).

Three stars.