Kansas - Leftoverture CD (album) cover

LEFTOVERTURE

Kansas

Bupie
5 stars Blessed.

There are very few times in life when things appear so easy and you feel that everything you touch could turn to gold. I guess that Kansas was in that kind of a dream-come-true-situation when they entered the studio to record Leftoverture.

This album is Kansas's fourth one, recorded in a highly creative period for the band that saw them release seven LP's in seven years in their original lineup.

I am often reluctant to use superlatives because I read too many reviews that were stuffed with them and led me to a huge disappointment when I listened to the music afterwards. But in this very case .

Tell me that you don't fake-bass play when you hear Dave Hope's first notes on "Carry On Wayward Son" .

Tell me that you don't close your eyes when the piano enters in "Cheyenne Anthem" .

Tell me that the first guitar solo of "Magnum Opus" doesn't flow directly trough your veins .

Tell me that "The Wall" is not one of the most perfectly crafted and moving songs ever .

Tell me that you don't shake your head to the folky guitar of "Questions of my Childhood" .

Tell me .

OK, enough said. You have understood that I like this record very much. Some people may argue that it is too poppy or easy listening in places but I see its accessibility - although it could take you a few listens to enter certain songs- as one more quality amongst countless others. Unlike most of the band's other albums, I don't even find it dated -but I guess it will appear so to some people.

I am far from being an expert of american prog rock but, from what I know, this is the absolute masterpiece of the genre. If, as a newbie to Kansas, you try this one and dislike it, there is no point to go further because you won't find anything better in their discography .

Bupie | 5/5 |