Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - In Glorious Times CD (album) cover

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

5 stars Jawdropping.

I have been looking forward to this ever since I was floored by Of Natural History. Thankfully, SGM did not disappoint.

The general concensus is that this album has a very steep learning curve, but I was in love from the first listen. Repeated listens do help you pick out the intricate layers, and believe me, to find all of them would take an unimaginable amount of listens.

The pace of the album is not necessarily as breakneck as say "The Donkey Headed Adversary Of Humanity Opens The Discussion", but it is the often more plodding tempo that adds extra heaviness. Now from a prog standpoint, this is a much more metal effort than their previous releases. My initial impression was Zappa creating an extreme metal side-project. The band tends to be a lot more dischordant, but the melodies still shine through. The musicianship is unbelievable as usual and the album greatly benefits from a more prominent use of Carla Kihlstedt's beautiful vocals.

Ultimately, if you like your prog with a generous serving of metal and don't mind moments of complete insanity... then this is the album for you. 5/5.

lightbulb_son | 5/5 |