Led Zeppelin - Presence CD (album) cover

PRESENCE

Led Zeppelin

Finnforest
4 stars "Last Stand" indeed.

As a teen I was obsessed with no one more than Zeppelin and with no disrespect to Townshend or Mick or Beatles, it was all Zep all the time back then. While I most enjoyed I-IV and Houses back in those days I have to say that Presence and Physical Graffiti are the Zep albums I most turn to these days. Presence seems the most fresh to me after all these years perhaps because it hasn't been wrecked for me by FM radio overkill.

Essentially, you have 5 fun bluesy rock tunes book-ended by two of Zeppelin's all time greatest tracks. "Achilles Last Stand" is the progressive Zep if there is such a thing with monster guitar riffs and Bonzo's most amazing drum work. "Tea for One" is perhaps Jimmy's most personal showcase this side of "Since I've Been Loving You" live version. Whatever anyone thinks about Jimmy as a person or even as a guitar player, his talents in producing and arranging the various guitar overdubs are simply astonishing.

This was really the end of the road for Zep for me because I consider "In Through the Out Door" to be such a complete waste of time. It was the last peak in a very fertile period for one of rock's greatest bands.

Finnforest | 4/5 |