The Decemberists - The Crane Wife CD (album) cover

THE CRANE WIFE

The Decemberists

Prog Folk

taylanbil
2 stars The album goes off to a powerful start, with Crane Wife 3 and especially the 12 minute highlight The Island. But unfortunately, this is where the non-prog stuff kicks in and takes away all the fuss created by the beautiful introduction. And the beautiful music doesn't get back until the last 2 tracks; lots of boring moments.

Actually, The Crane Wife is a very promising album. I like the band's effort, it is certainly not there for me with this album, but the way they have accomplished the long symphonic songs is high standard. I think they'll produce top class music if they go more prog, and maybe dark. It is a tricky choice now for them, as giving up indie audience would be a commercial loss.

Though I've not given the highest rating of all to this album, I'll be expecting their next release with anticipation. I have high hopes for this band.

taylanbil | 2/5 |