Marillion - Seasons End CD (album) cover

SEASONS END

Marillion

joacim.ohlund
3 stars The first album of the Hogarth-era and this album shows what Fish had meant to the band, for better or for worse depending on your preferences, the difference is telling in all aspects of the music.

Hogarth is, I agree, a much better singer than Fish in that his voice is a lot better and his range vocally is much wider. However there to me is something special about Fishīs singing that makes you really listen. Without being pretentious he brings the words to life better than anyone I have ever heard. Also lyrically Fish is much better although some prefer the less personal and often "lighter" lyrics of Hogarth.

What about this album then? Well itīs certainly got a more accessible and commercial sound than any of the previous albums including Clutching At Straws. Some of the tracks, however "commercial", are really good such as for example The King Of Sunset Town, Easter, Seasons End and The Space. While tracks like The Uninvited Guest, Holloway Girl donīt really do much for me. Add a horrible track like Hooks In You which almost makes me want to puke and what you have is a very uneven album which at times is really good. Worth having since there are a couple of really strong tracks but nothing earthshattering to write home about.

| 3/5 |