Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination - Edgar Allan Poe CD (album) cover

TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION - EDGAR ALLAN POE

Alan Parsons Project

Norm Cash
5 stars I'm basing this review on the "Deluxe" version of this album, released in early 2007. This 2-disc set contains remasters of the original 1976 album version of "Tales", and the 1987 remixed CD version (along with the usual extras tracks, etc.)

I've always been a fan of Parsons, having bought "Tales" at the time of its original vinyl release. I quite enjoy most his subsequent work, much of which seems to be derided by many here at PA for not being "proggy" enough (fair enough point, I guess!). Having said that, though, I must admit that nothing he has done has ever reached the heights of this debut. "Tales" is quite simply a stunning album, and has remained one of the high points of my collection for many years.

I won't go deeply into descriptives of the various tracks on the album, as this has already been done by many previous reviewers. What I will say is that this newly remastered version brings out the complexities of the pieces with much more clarity than ever before - as you might expect from someone with the engineering and production skills of Alan Parsons.

To me, this is an album well worth a 5-star rating.

ps Guys - here's a useful little listening tip. Before putting on "The Fall Of The House Of Usher", dim the lights, pour a glass of wine, and curl up on a comfy seat with your significant other. If she's never heard the piece before, you just might get some interesting reactions!!

Norm Cash | 5/5 |