10cc - How Dare You! CD (album) cover

4 stars 10cc may not be prog in the strict sense, but it was definitely well-done, innovative and original pop back in the seventies. And their best efforts have stood the test of time extremely well. This far How Dare You is the only album I've got (heard also some compilations), and presumably it was the best choice. There are no fillers here, and each track is crafted with perfectionism. No wonder that Godley & Creme have been respected producers too.

The opener is a bit noisy instrumental and my least favourite track. 'Lazy Ways' is just lovely, dreamy pop song with excellent vocals and bass playing. 'I Wanna Rule the World' is an amazing thing to hear for the first time. The protagonist is a young, overlooked boy who dreams of being a dictator of the world. 'I'm Mandy, Fly Me' is a hit, and a marvelous one. Also that song and just about every one on this album is 'progressive' in the way of sharp changes between song parts. That breathtaking, playful, ehm, fullness of the songs may get a bit tiring, and therefor I don't listen to this LP very often. But the 'art' of this pop makes me amazed when I do. The B side is not quite as great IMHO, but ends with a beautiful 'Don't Hang Up.' 3,5 stars.

PS: This is my 200th review, and 10cc is the 100th artist on my review list.

Matti | 4/5 |