Yes - Close To The Edge CD (album) cover

CLOSE TO THE EDGE

Fitzcarraldo
4 stars This is YES putting the symphonic into Symphonic Progressive Rock. From the jungle cacophony at the beginning and end of the title track, to the guitar ostinato and mantra of 'Siberian Khatru', the music is very good. This album is one of the archetypes of the genre. Of the three lengthy pieces on the album I prefer the first two, as I especially enjoy Wakeman's keyboards - particularly the ecclesiastical organ on the ambitious title track - and Howe's guitar work on those. The oft-quoted lyrics are total nonsense, but are pleasant nonetheless, and Jon Anderson's singing is very much a necessary hue in the overall picture the band paints.

Although this album is often referred to as the band's magnum opus I have to say that I prefer "Fragile" to "Close To The Edge", although I would not be without either, and they were two of the first CDs that I bought to replace my long-gone LPs. The sound is very good on the digitally remastered version I have (Atlantic 82666-2) and it seems to have more detail than I remember from the LP.

If such a thing were possible I would award 4.5 stars, but will settle for 4 stars (Excellent addition to any progressive music collection).

Fitzcarraldo | 4/5 |