Genesis - A Trick of the Tail CD (album) cover

A TRICK OF THE TAIL

Genesis

Prog Leviathan
2 stars Am I the only person who chokes in outrage that this tepid, gutless piece of ham-fisted key-driven "symphonic" mediocrity rates so high? Where are the thoughtful compositions and interesting instrumental parts? Where are the exciting and dramatic lyrics? This is Genesis at their worst; at least I can tap my foot and get into the groove of "Land of Confusion"-- I can't do anything here but cringe at Bank's boring melodies and laugh as Hakcett's spineless wimperings masquerading as lead guitar. I tried so hard to discover the appeal to this one, given its overwhelmingly good reviews, but found nothing but bland monotony.

Coming from a later generation, Genesis holds no emotional appeal to me, and when I am offered so many other exciting options, choices like this are boring, and not worthy of attention.

Songwriting: 2 Instrumental Performances: 2 Lyrics/Vocals: 2 Style/Emotion/Replay: 2

Prog Leviathan | 2/5 |