Deep Purple - Made In Japan CD (album) cover

Deep Purple

2 stars Yes I like Deep Purple... And this album is one of their best. Is it progressive? Well, in some aspects...

It would be a hard rock forum, I would give them 5 stars. Just remaining the pleasure I had to listen to them, I'll judge them with more prog c riteria which they partially meet.

Unfortunately it is not as crative as the best Prog bands in their deepness of reseach: less risks, less unusual ways to play the riff played by "just another monkey" as Ian Anderson said in a very humble and self-conscious interview (Aqualung live). Usual instruments, usual hard parts, with some ballads parts.

NO, I am not too severe: it is a question of category. They are one of the very best in hard rock of history, but, this is not a Rock site. Prog Rock is only part of it, and one of the most diversified, complicated and maybe unfair. People hoping for Prog want more than expectedc melodies and rythym.

gabnat | 2/5 |