Pink Floyd - Learning To Fly (promo single) CD (album) cover

LEARNING TO FLY (PROMO SINGLE)

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

progaardvark
2 stars This version of Learning To Fly is a 12-inch promotional vinyl single. Clearly, this is for collectors as you would most likely prefer the LP version of this song. Since it's available off the Momentary Lapse of Reason album, there really isn't any reason to seek this out unless you collect this stuff. I suspect it's quite rare nowadays, but I'm not really sure.

As for the song, well it's really different compared to the band's previous recordings. Gilmour is now at the helm and his lyrical skills are more of a poetic nature than the long anti-this and anti-that diatribes of Waters. Musically, it's actually quite refreshing compared to the darkness of The Wall or The Final Cut, but it's much more radio friendly. To me, it seems as if Gilmour was really trying to get some airtime on the radio with this as it fits the AOR scheme of things more than progressive rock. It's somewhat similar to material on Gilmour's About Face solo album, but more polished and with more synthesizers.

I like the song, but due to the nature of the format of this item and it's availability elsewhere I must give it two stars. For collectors of rare 12-inch promotional singles and such.

progaardvark | 2/5 |