Camel - Moonmadness CD (album) cover

MOONMADNESS

Camel

Tarcisio Moura
5 stars Moonmadness is Camel´s best CD. Although I like very much the three that came before it - some people disagree with me, electing maybe Mirage or The Snowgoose- I still think that their fourth release is also their crowning achivement.They never sounded so perfect and inspiring as on Moonmadness. I was very sorry that bassist Doug Ferguson left the band after this CD and, with that, altering the chemistry within the group forever. Ok, they´d release some fine albums in the 90´s onwards, but not as good as the ´magnificent four´.

From the the short introduction of Aristillus to the last notes of Lunar Sea, the CD reeks of talent, guts and sophistication. As simple as the songs sound at first they grow on subsequent listenings to show all the glory of a band on all its power and glory. Song Within A Song is a classic prog song, Chord Changges shows the jazzy side of the band, Spirit Of The Water and Air Born their delicacy, ansd so on. But the best example to me is still the last track, Lunar Sea. This instrumental shows how powerful this band was, a great showcase fo their technique, skills and songwriting capabilities.

All in a ll my fave Camel album and the one I listen the most. A wonderful piece of prog music that inspired so many others. A must have and highly recommended CD.

Tarcisio Moura | 5/5 |