Marillion - Real to Reel CD (album) cover

REAL TO REEL

Marillion

obiter
4 stars I am not a great fan of live albums. it's always difficult to recreate the atmosphere of the occasion on disk. A fabulous concert to attend may produce an unremarkable recording and vice versa. This album was recorded over 3 nights (side 1 over a couple of nights in Montreal and side 2 on a Monday night in Leicester) so we get an idea of different perfromances.

The song selection is strong: Assassing is an excellent opener and Forgotten Sons is superb. This is by no means the polished article: the Thieving Magpie takes that accolade, but I much prefer the inadequacies and flaws of Real to Reel. They seem to add up to a better recreation of the live experience. There is a great deal of crowd noise and it reminds me of the times I saw Marillion.

What more can you ask from a live album?

obiter | 4/5 |