Jens Johansson - Heavy Machinery (with Jens Johansson and Allan Holdsworth) CD (album) cover

Jens Johansson

2 stars Maybe I shouldn't review an album like this that I simply don't bother to listen to more than once, pressing the NEXT button several times to make it a quicker task. There is a type of music that everytime seems to leave me cold, and if it could be summarized in a word, I guess the word would be JAMMING. A kind of music where the emphasis is in the technically superb playing itself, not in the contents of the music, ie. emotions, if you like. (This holds true to 'art music' as well: a virtuoso Paganini violin solo is pure torture to me!) Here you hear a power trio of a drummer, a guitarist (Allan Holdsworth, who is considered as one of the top axemen in the rock/jazz world) and a keyboard player (with a heavy rock background). All the tracks seem to be in the same vein, fast and tight playing. "Modal groove riff sequences with long improvized stretches", right. Not my cup of tea.
Matti | 2/5 |