Deep Purple - In Rock CD (album) cover

IN ROCK

Deep Purple

Proto-Prog

obiter
3 stars OK, I'm definitely going against the grain here but ... this is about prog and about whether albums should be in a prog collection. As a bit of a rocker this is a 5+++ star album. In fact if you claim to like heavy rock and you don't have this album many people will think you are talking out of "Your Back Door".No doubt about it, but as prog ........

Speed King/Flight of the Rat both top notch heavy rock tracks. My personal favourite is Living Wreck one in a line of amusing tracks from this seminal HARD ROCK band. Still my prog seisometer is stil registering the sort of disturbance caused by a passing truck: no earthquakes or tremors here.

Child in Time. There's the rub. Fabulous track. Most definitely prog. Right up there as a great prog number. Gillan is awesome. One of the truly great tracks in any genre.

The difficult question is how it rates as a prog album. I reckon the strength of Child in Time lifts this to a Decent Prog Album, but by no stretch of teh imagination essential

obiter | 3/5 |