Deep Purple - Fireball CD (album) cover

FIREBALL

Deep Purple

Proto-Prog

obiter
2 stars Yet another hard rock classic I really like which I've listened to 100s of times in the last 25 years, and you've guessed it I'm going to pan it as a prog album.

I've only got the old gatefold LP so I don't know about the bonus CD material.

The opening Fireball is classic rock.

One of the things I have always loved about DP is the humour. In this album we get Anyone's Daughter and No One Came. Fantastic but 0 stars for prog. "Imagine I was a full-grown man/And I could talk just right/Could I come and see you here/And do this every night Wham! The door comes crashing down/Your daddy's face all pale/Says come with me you hairy bum/I'll put you in my jail" you get the drift ...

My favourite is Demon's Eye, a true classic 70s rock number. I also like the mule.

Again this is an essential album for any self-respecting rock collection (as are Burn/Machine Head/In Rock) but I dont's see how it fits in at all as a prog album.

obiter | 2/5 |