Gryphon - Red Queen to Gryphon Three CD (album) cover

RED QUEEN TO GRYPHON THREE

Gryphon

Prog Folk

obiter
5 stars Sheer brilliance.

The krumhorns are the signature to the album. fabulous. I almost can't believe I'm saying that: krumhorns were excellent: if my 15 year old me could hear me say that he'd crease himself laughing: "you pretentious w****r" would almost certainly have been mentioned in passing. But, hey I'm not 15, and even 30 seems a distant memory (single ... no kids...), time moves on so I can know listen to music which was old back when I was 15, and appreciate it.

Side One: Opening Move(superb) and Second Spasm (excellent) Side Two: Lament is just beautiful. I really have to get a better stereo, and the LP is starting to look a bit warped these days.

As someone who was weaned on irish folk (as well as Bessie Smith/Ma Rainey/Billie Holliday) (and only later exposed to english folk at university) I view this album as the pinnacle of the folk/medieval /prog blend.

It is quite simply a must have album.

obiter | 5/5 |