Deep Purple - Burn CD (album) cover

BURN

Deep Purple

Proto-Prog

obiter
4 stars OK prepare to bow down at the temple of THE DP line up.

Mr Ian Paice ... this is his album. Burn/You Fool No One/Lay down Stay Down. Toe tap your way out of that one. Alex VH has Hot for Teacher ... ian just plays BURN. Might Just Take Your life: absolutely fabulous track. Great rhythm, superb drums (Hughes' bass tucked in).

The amazing vocals of Mr Coverdale and Mr Hughes. The RB maintains his presence with unmistakable licks. What's Going On Here jazz's it up with serious blues overlays from RB. While the Jon Lord abandons the Hammond for piano: and boy is it fabulous.

Mistreated is a straight blues number but I would challenge anyone not to recognise a bit of Paul Rodgers & Free in the sound.

This is an absolutely 100% essential rock album. I love it. 5 rock stars

Oh, but this is prog archives .......

To be entirely honest I can't see a prog bone in this entire body. does that make this a 1 star?? harsh but surely fair.

... or not the 1 star I gave originally was more a reaction on the album's inclusion in progarchives. It's in so on merit 4

obiter | 4/5 |