Camel - Harbour Of Tears CD (album) cover

3 stars "Harbour of Tears" is a much better album than the previous "Dust and Dreams", and it's a very good CAMEL album indeed, in years!

Again, it is a topical (I almost hate the word "conceptual") musical work, this time composed around the theme of Irish refugees and their settlement in the New World. Nothing new or original for that matter, but it is fairly decent to hear. The Irish themes were sort of "trend" in the 1990s, not only in music but in global culture in general, so why not take advantage from the situation? Music is well composed and performed, it is very pleasant to listen. A cross between "symphonic" and "neo prog" sort of style, borrowing bits from Mike Oldfield or PINK FLOYD ("Watching the Bobbins" intro is way too reminiscent of "Another Brick in the Wall").

A good album, but - I am not too impressed. I can't really pick up a thing and say what's wrong, but it's all too "deja vu" kind of stuff. Still, it does not surpass early 4 albums. For my taste CAMEL's best album of the 1990s will be the next "Rajaz" - this one is a fine work but not essential.

P.A. RATING: 3/5