Mike Oldfield - Tr3s Lunas  CD (album) cover

TR3S LUNAS

Mike Oldfield

russellk
1 stars "Hello? Can I talk about MIKE OLDFIELD'S new album? Yes, Tr3s Lunas. Is there no one who will talk to me?"

Dammit, they've put me on hold. Urgh, and with the worst kind of elevator music. Come on, come on, I can feel my brain leaking out of my ears ... wait a moment. That sounded suspiciously like a trademark OLDFIELD guitar note. No, surely not.

But it is. 'Tr3s Lunas'. (The '3' affectation in the name probably derivative of the Wip3out PS game, laden with the techno music OLDFIELD had become so enamoured of.) MIKE OLDFIELD managed to surgically remove all remaining passion and flair from his composition and in 2002 created an album that is the very essence of blandness.

Now I've been the subject of some fairly sharp reviews in my time. My novels have been called rubbish (check out Amazon.co.uk for some particularly cruel reviews). So I know how it feels to be lambasted, which is why I don't do it lightly to others.

I'm careful to indicate in a review who might like a work, if I don't like it myself. I have to admit I'm hard pressed to think of who this album might appeal to: certainly not to anyone who wants to listen to music for its own sake. Perhaps if someone needs inoffensive background noise, this might do the trick.

This is the soundtrack to a computer game. I certainly hope the game is more exciting than the music. Meanwhile I'm still on hold ...

russellk | 1/5 |