Sigur Rós - Takk... CD (album) cover

TAKK...

Sigur Rós

Post Rock/Math rock

obiter
4 stars this album was my introduction to Sigur Ros, so my review is tainted with the heightened and exaggerated emotional responses which always accompany first encounters. i don't come with expectations and comparisons ready from previous albums. it's just a first blush response.

well i suppose i should start with the obvious for the completely uninitiated. this is mostly instrumental: often singing is used it is more of a voice instrument rather than a bloke giving it up at centre stage singing "with my hands open, my eyes open, i just keep hopin' your heart opens". i don't know why i thought of that. In some bizarre way meth blothnasir reminds me of Snow Patrol. The vocal style is distinctive and will defintitely not be to everyone's taste: it's the Geddy Lee/Jon Anderson conundrum. Often an unusual vocal style takes getting used to, a bit pf perseveracne here will pay considerable dividends. So run Gong several times to acclimatize.

There's a cliched sentimentality about Hoppipolla I liked: piano/strings/nice build up ... reminds me of verve's backstreeet symphony.

the album drifts to a quieter more subdued end (Andvair-Svo Hljott-Heysatan)

obiter | 4/5 |