TAKK...

- Jónsi Birgission / vocals, guitar
- Kjartan Sveinsson / keyboards, electric piano
- Georg Hólm / bass
- Orri Páll Dýrason / drums

CD EMI Records (September 2005)

Thanks to frenchie for the addition
and to The Bearded Bard for the last updates

SIGUR RÓS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SIGUR RÓS Takk... Music

Sigur Rós ?- Sæglópur RARE 2006 EU 1st issue 12" EP AS NEW! US $49.95 [0 bids]
Sigur Rós - Von (IMPORT) NR MINT! 24HR POST!! US $66.51 Buy It Now 15h 20m
JULIAN FANE - Special Forces (Planet Mu CD 2004) Sigur Rós Dntel M83 Radiohead US $5.10 Buy It Now 17h 30m
Sigur Rós ?- Ágætis Byrjun 2000 UK FatCat 2LP SIS As New!! US $139.95 [0 bids]
Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun (Cassette) BMG Russia SEALED Sigur Ros US $69.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Sigur Rós - Von (NEW CD) US $14.91 Buy It Now 1 day
Sigur Rós, Ágætis Byrjun CD, 10 Track Digipak, 1999 US $18.73 [0 bids]
Sigur Rós - Hvarf/Heim (2009) US $8.44 Buy It Now 3 days
Sigur Rós - Takk... (2009) US $8.44 Buy It Now 3 days
Sigur Rós - Valtari (2012) US $8.44 Buy It Now 3 days
BRAND NEW Hvarf/Heim [Digipak] [Limited] by Sigur Rós (CD, Nov-2007, 2 Discs, XL US $16.74 Buy It Now 3 days
Sigur Rós - Með Suð í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust (Deluxe Edition) - STILL WRAPED US $1.69 [1 bids]
Official Poster for Sigur Rós Kveikur Album Release US $14.08 [0 bids]
Sigur Rós Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust 11 Trk Double Vinyl LP SEALED US $59.69 Buy It Now 5 days
Sigur Rós - Með suð í Eyrum við Spilum Endalaust CD (With a Buzz in Our Ears...) US $7.50 Buy It Now 5 days
Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun (2000) CD DIGIPAK MINT US $9.19 Buy It Now 6 days
Sigur Rós - Sæglópur 12" vinyl US $30.00 [0 bids]
Sigur Rós - (untitled) CD US $6.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Official Poster for Sigur Rós Kveikur Album Release US $14.08 [0 bids]
Sigur Ros Inni US ADVANCE PROMO CD Jonsi Sigur Rós US $6.99 [0 bids]
Sigur Rós ?Ros Hvarf / Heim 2 LP Vinyl Green Blue record store day RSD 2013 NEW US $75.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Inni [2 Bonus CDs] [Box] * by Sigur Rós (CD, Nov-2011, 3 Discs, XL (UK)) US $26.08 Buy It Now 8 days
Sigur Rós - Valtari (NEW CD) US $11.50 Buy It Now 8 days
Sigur Rós - Hvarf - Heim (NEW CD) US $11.50 Buy It Now 8 days
Sigur Rós - Valtari (NEW 2 x 12" VINYL LP) US $42.63 Buy It Now 8 days
Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun CD. (2000) US $6.81 Buy It Now 9 days
Sigur Rós Varúð 10" Single [SEALED VINYL] Limited Edition to 1500 XL Varud 2012 US $20.95 Buy It Now 10 days
Sigur Rós - Von (2014) US $16.36 Buy It Now 11 days
Von, Sigur Rós, Good Import US $4.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Hilmar & Sigur Ros Hilmarsson - Angels Of The Universe CD Sigur Rós US $7.50 Buy It Now 12 days
Sigur Rós: Inni­ (Blu-Ray + 2 CD), Very Good DVD, , US $24.93 Buy It Now 14 days
Hilmar Örn Hilmarsson & Sigur Rós Angels Of The Universe 17 Trk CD Album US $22.16 Buy It Now 14 days
Sigur Rós - Meth Suth I Eyrum Vith Spilum Endalaust (CD) US $5.10 Buy It Now 14 days
Sigur Ros - Valtari - CD NEW & SEALED Digipak Sigur Rós US $10.92 Buy It Now 15 days
Sigur Rós - Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust (2008) NEW/SEA US $9.50 Buy It Now 16 days
Sigur Rós - Untitled, 2002 MUSIC CD FREE UK POST US $10.22 Buy It Now 17 days
SIGUR RÓS: VALTARI FILM EXPERIMENT [DVD] - NEW DVD US $11.39 Buy It Now 17 days
Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun 2000 MUSIC CD FREE UK POST US $8.51 Buy It Now 18 days
Kveikur Sigur Rós Audio CD US $18.47 Buy It Now 19 days
Sigur Rós - Hvarf - Heim (2009) CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $10.70 Buy It Now 19 days
AMINA ?- ANIMAMINA * 10' EP VINYL * MINT CONDITION ** SIGUR RÓS ** US $42.63 Buy It Now 19 days
Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun (2000) cd US $4.42 Buy It Now 19 days
Sigur Rós Kveikur 2x Vinyl LP Record with Indie Exclusive 10"! & MP3! ros NEW!!! US $48.99 Buy It Now 19 days
Sigur Rós - Valtari Vinyl LP US $46.04 Buy It Now 20 days
Sigur 1/Sigur 9 [EP] [CD & DVD] by Sigur Rós (CD, Ju... US $38.00 Buy It Now 20 days
Sigur Rós - (Untitled, 2014) US $16.36 Buy It Now 20 days
Sigur Rós - Valtari CD New US $22.16 Buy It Now 20 days
Sigur Rós: Hljómalind - DJ CD CD Single 3608V US $11.00 Buy It Now 21 days
Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun (2014) US $16.36 Buy It Now 23 days
AMINA AnimaminA - Icelandic MINT 4 track 2005 CD EP - Sigur Rós related - TWI 1 US $14.50 Buy It Now 23 days
Sigur Rós - Kveikur (2013) CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $11.89 Buy It Now 24 days
Sigur Rós - Agaetis Byrjun - 2014 (NEW CD) US $14.91 Buy It Now 24 days
Sigur Rós - ( ) - 2014 (NEW CD) US $14.91 Buy It Now 24 days
Sigur Rós - (Untitled, 2002) US $6.29 Buy It Now 24 days
Sigur Rós - (Untitled, 2002) CD Limited Version In Plastic Slip Case ( FATCD22 ) US $9.71 Buy It Now 24 days
Sigur Rós - Valtari (2012) CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $9.50 Buy It Now 26 days
SIGUR RÓS ?Ágaetis Byrjun 2001 FatCat FATLP11 DMM 2XLP UK Press CLEAN VPI VG+ US $69.99 Buy It Now 27 days
Sigur Rós, , New US $10.91 Buy It Now 27 days
Sigur Rós by Sigur Rós US $4.98 Buy It Now 27 days
Sigur Rós - Meth Suth I Eyrum Vith Spilum Endalaust (2008) CD US $6.64 Buy It Now 27 days
Sigur Rós Ros / Kveikur CD NEW SEALED US $17.99 Buy It Now 28 days
SIGUR ROS Sigur Rós? Hvarf Heim Vinyl 2 COLOR LP LIMITED RECORD STORE DAY US $99.99 Buy It Now 28 days
Sigur Ros, Sigur Rós, ( ) Audio CD US $7.99 Buy It Now 28 days

More places to buy SIGUR RÓS music online Buy SIGUR RÓS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SIGUR RÓS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SIGUR RÓS Takk... ratings distribution

SIGUR RÓS Takk... reviews

Review by Heptade
4 stars This album has just been released today, and what a relief it is! After the disappointing (), which mostly was a bunch of long jams that bored me to tears (the first four/five tracks were quite good), SR have refocussed and produced an album that at least matches the quality of AB, their breakthrough. The songs can be lengthy still, but they are tightly written and feature less of the stereotypical loud- beginning-to-chaotic-ending structures that plague a lot of spacey bands. Fragments of the melodies stick in my head long after they are gone, something that couldn't be said about (), with the exception of a couple of tracks. The vocals are still the group's greatest strength- there's nothing quite like them that I've heard, still sounding like a demented boys' choir! But the heavy use of strings is back, and even some oom-pah pah horns used to playful effect. The delay-drenched guitars are given lots of room to breathe- in fact, the use of space is wonderful. Ringing notes go on for bars on end, adding to the contemplative atmosphere. There is also a sense of happiness and contentment that was lacking in the band's work before (the title means "thanks"), making this the perfect accompaniment to a sunny fall afternoon. There is no band quite as distinctive as Sigur Ros, who have proved with this release that having a recognizable sound doesn't mean there is no room for development and evolution.

Send comments to Heptade (BETA) | Report this review (#46543) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Review by lor68
3 stars Well, standing by for the reunion of the U.S. underground band Don Caballero (I hope that ProgArchives accept them as a Post Rock/Indo heavy art rock band to be inserted into their official band list.), here it is another interesting work from the Icelandic ensemble: for me their approach is less acclaimed by the critics, which prefer a few bands such as Radiohead for example and in the same time don't regard Sigur Ros as a completely successful band. it's strange because the Icelandic ensemble probably isn't able to emulate the same success like that of R.h. all over the world, but they show a major creativity. Of course - it's partially true - S.R. (unlike R.h.) usually prefer the underground circuits, but for me it's better for them to choose the small gigs in order to maintain their artistic impact (nevertheless I remember the Last Summer show at Villa Arconati -Bollate near Milano- in the course of july 2005, in which they appreciated the enthusiastic feedback of the Italian people very much!!...). The track "Milano" -for instance- is right dedicated to my city, in which every intelligent music fan often wants to "buy" a different kind of music and S.R. can satisfy such an important exigency: a great charming mood, a visionary soft music - a bit melancholic - but always intelligent. Their purpose is clear in all the other tracks and as for this reason their album "Takk" is not only for the lovers of the "Borealis" atmosphere from Iceland.to be collected if you're into the best experimental post rock anyway, even thoug actually it should be worth a "3 stars and an half" righter score, in comparison to the best albums of progressive music!!

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#52924) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 23, 2005

Review by FloydWright
4 stars Some of you are probably glad that because this is a near-instrumental album, I won't be rambling on quite as much as usual. Anyway, the great news about Takk... is that while there are still a lot of the same noises heard in their unfortunate EP release Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do, there's much more to hold this together, and a faster beat than ( ) (which seems dead in many places) at most times. This is closer to their masterpiece Agaetis Byrjun in spirit, and more accessible. In fact, some of the instruments that made Agaetis Byrjun so great reappear on Takk, such as the horns on "Hoppípola"/"Með Blóðnasir" and the strings of "Sé Lest". Even though "Sé Lest" also has some of the strange background noises from BBTKDD, SIGUR ROS seems to understand this time that's not enough to have an actual song.

Some of the lyrics are in Icelandic, and others are still in Hopelandic, but there's far, far less of a feeling of obscurity for obscurity's sake. What's also interesting is to look up translations to the lyrics. I was surprised to find that unlike some of their more depressing compositions, "Saeglópur" actually had happy lyrics, which succinctly tells the story of a sailor thought dead being found and rescued. Not all of them are that way, when I looked on websites for the translations, but even one is an unusual thing from SIGUR ROS. Some of the compositions seem to flow together as if they were a single entity, like "Takk"/"Glósóli" and "Hoppípola"/"Með Blóðnasir", so don't let a few short track times fool you--these are fully-developed songs.

SIGUR ROS does break new ground on this album, most particularly on "Saeglópur", "Gong", and some on "Svo Hjlótt", where we get an unheard-of, fast-paced drumming style that avoids letting songs linger like they did on ( ). I'm certainly not talking about metal-style drumming (though on Track 8 of ( ) they got close once), but something a little more like old "Myrkur" on Von--though at much better quality. And even the old reliable SIGUR ROS pieces like "Mílanó" and "Andvari" are up to speed.

The one drawback to this whole album is the distorted quality to some of the instruments (drums and piano in particular) that makes the production quite a bit less impressive than on Agaetis Byrjun. Also, there are times when I feel like the end to "Andvari" drags a bit, but it depends on my mood. However, the songwriting is up to par--and furthermore, is actually happy for the most part. One wonders if the title (Icelandic for "Thank you") is SIGUR ROS' way of saying, "Thank you for bearing with us" through the doldrums of BBTKDD and ( ). Overall, a 4.5, and if not for the distracting sound-quality issues, this would be the equal of Agaetis Byrjun.

Send comments to FloydWright (BETA) | Report this review (#60626) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 17, 2005

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars If I was highly impressed with the previous unnamed album, I must recognize that I am rather disappointed with this one. A superb and lavish, highly luxurious artwork sleeve had more than piqued my curiosity, and everything suggested that this was going to be a masterpiece.

While hardly a bad album, we are in for a repeat album of the previous with its rather difficult singing and incomprehensible lyric (Hopelandic), but with an added irritating twist. If you take away the vocal parts, this album sounds A LOT to GYBE! And this is more than an impression, too. The still slow-paced tracks still have a very melancholic feel (so typical of Northern or Scandinavian Europe) and a eerie beauty, but unfortunately, I feel that there is a certain step backwards with this album, and clearly when the whole group is playing at full volume (this is NOT a metal group, though), these guys sound a lot like the Montrealers and most other groups that are starting to crowd in that now too-used formula of Post-Rock. BTW: if I compare most post-rock groups to GYBE!, it is mainly because the nonet first pioneered this "sound" and influenced all of the others.

Don't get me wrong here, not everything is borrowed (far from it) on this album, and there are plenty of moments where you find the "old" Sigur, in fine form. But as I said above, the surprise and expectation raised after ( ), probably proved too much for this Icelandic trio to live up to. Still a good album, though. But not great!!!

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#67714) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
4 stars Most of the time when I listen to a new album I like to spend time finding out as much as I can about the band, the stories behind the album and that period of their careers, and to read all of the lyrics carefully to discover as much as possible about the music so I can put it into context. I really know nothing about Sigur Rós though. I only bought this album because I recognized the band's name from reading about them from time to time on Progarchives. Turns out this was a good investment of my limited discretionary income.

The lyrics, what few there are, are mostly unintelligible, either because they are sung in what I assume to be Icelandic, or just because the words are secondary to the music itself. For these guys, this is not a bad thing, as their sound is certainly appealing and actually kind of cheerful. The cover and liner artwork and lettering are exquisite, what I think may be a woodblock and ink painting. There aren't many modern albums around today with such a timeless and mature look to them.

"Takk." is an airy little intro to the rest of the album, and it transitions after just a couple of minutes into "Glósóli", a well-developed, largely instrumental song that reminds me at various points of Godspeed You Black Emperor!, particularly the second half of F#a# Infinity. The song starts slowly and is quite mellow, but builds to a crescendo in the middle that is very much a Godspeed trademark. Also a bit like Set Fire to Flames, but less depressing.

"Hoppípolla" is mostly a piano/strings piece, again with the ethereal and unintelligible vocals that neither add nor detract from it. Apparently the song is about celebrating life by prancing around in the rain, falling down and getting a bloody nose, and then getting back up and does it again. Odd theme, but the music is upbeat.

"Með Blóðnasir" is a short work that features some warm, fat guitar chords, chant/humming, and the ubiquitous bell sounds that permeate the entire album. It transitions into "Sé Lest", a lengthy, bells-and-strings spacey instrumental that again is somewhat reminiscent of bands like Godspeed You Black Emperor!, but in this case quite a bit softer than most of their works.

"Sæglópur" is the Sigur Rós version of "A Perfect Storm" or "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", only with a happier ending. The song starts out with very slow and precise piano, some light bells (synthetic, I expect), and the repetitive verse that is either Icelandic, or just made up. This represents a calm sea upon which a boat is sailing, I think. The song builds into a more driving gale wind of guitars and drums, probably intended to represent an ocean storm upon which the boat is tossed and apparently crashes and sinks, upon which the plodding piano returns, along with the nonsensical lyrics. The man in the boat is lost at sea.. but is somehow rescued and returns home - "Alive, has returned home. A lost seafarer, alive". Finally, the song fades to black.

"Mílanó" is the longest track on the album, clocking in at more than ten minutes, although the first three minutes or so are no more than sporadic piano and those darn bells, slowly building up to the introduction of a slow, plodding drumbeat and faint background guitar. Again, the lyrics make no sense, and I suspect they wouldn't even if I knew Icelandic. By this time I've decided that singer Jónsi Birgission is something of a Scandinavian Neil Young. Again, I know nothing of this band, but somehow I get the impression he wouldn't mind the comparison. If their music is any indication, these guys are probably pretty laid back. After a brief build-up, the song returns to the languid piano wanderings, interrupted by a couple more similar short crescendos before winding to a close. This song actually reminds me a lot of some of those little jewelry music boxes with the little ballerinas that my sister had when she was a kid. Quite pleasant, non-threatening, and mildly functional.

The vocals on "Gong" reinforce my impression that the singer is possibly even attempting to sound like Neil Young, with that high-but-not-feminine lilt that sounds as if the man behind the voice could easily lose touch with reality altogether with very little effort. At times this song is more aggressive and mainstream than anything else on the album. I don't know if bands get the same types of pressures in Iceland to deliver radio-friendly material, but if they do than this song is probably the one that was done to shut label executives up.

The "Andvari" tune is a bit like those sleep-through-hypnosis tapes, very slow, calm, and peaceful. I'm listening to this one right now, and am seriously considering taking a bit of a nap. This song is pleasant, but it seems to take forever to wind its way to a close.

"Svo Hljótt" is also slow, but a bit more brooding than its predecessor. There's also a sustained aggressive bridge between the mild beginning and end that almost seems angry, or at least as angry as these guys are capable of seeming. I'm imagining a long winter afternoon in a very cold place where the lack of sunlight and resulting winter blues are causing the authors to become a bit cabin-fever crazed. All is well by the end of the song though.

The album closes with "Heysátan", which sounds like it has some acoustic guitar in it, or maybe that's just more keyboards. Hard to tell. This is another one that seems to take more than half the song to develop into anything definitive, and even then it never really takes shape. Apparently this one is a tale about a farm kid who's mowing and stacking piles of hay and is not enjoying the task all that much. But here again, everything seems to be okay in the end, and the singer contentedly takes a break and kicks back for a rest.

If everything Sigur Rós does is this laid back, I have to say we could use more guys like this in music. This is a very refreshing departure from some of the angry rap and grunge, mindless pop and boy-band, and tired rock which dominate the business lately. Like I said at the beginning, I don't know too much about these guys, but after listening to this album, I can safely say I'll be buying some more of their albums in the near future. This is a well-produced, beautifully packaged, and soothing work or art. I can't imagine too many people buying it and feeling like they wasted their money. It's fresh, original (despite the similarities to Godspeed), and quite up- beat. As always, timing is everything when assessing art, and the fact that it is early spring right now, the grass is covered with fresh-smelling dew, the harsh winter winds and snows are gone, and there are delicate little buds on my trees and roses in the yard, make this a very positive and uplifting album to be listening to at this particular point in time.

I think Takk would make a very solid addition to any progressive music fan's collection, and by definition that means it rates four stars.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#75153) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 16, 2006

Review by Australian
3 stars I remember the day when I discovered this band. It was about two months ago when I was talking to Dalezilla on the forum when he mentioned something about listening to "Takk."(which means thank you) I asked who they were and what genre they were in, and after receiving the information I looked up the band and listened to some of the free samples. The first song I listened to was "Saeglopur", I was immediately hooked by this song (and still am hooked) and I rather hastily went onto eBay and bought a copy of "Takk. "This was the first event in a sequence of annoyances. Firstly, after ordering the CD I went down to my local store and looked under alternative and, to my distress found Sigur Rós. The next annoying thing was that "Takk. " was cheaper here than the import. I however brought "()" and I wasn't all that impressed with it.

After being seven days overdue (14 days of waiting) I was told that the CD would be delayed another seven to fourteen days away. So after waiting a grand total twenty days I finally received "Takk." and I was relieved. Soon after listening to the album I forgot about the annoyances and enjoyed this beautiful ambient piece of music. So the combination of Dalezilla and Sigur Rós started an all new phase of music for me, post- rock. I have discovered among this genre one unspoken masterpiece in "The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place" by Explosions in the Sky and another in "F# A#" by Godspeed You Black Emperor. This genre has continued to amaze me and, although most of the music in Post-rock is either non-existent in Australia or is over $30, it is worth it.

Sigur Rós seems to be the most prominent Post-Rock band along with Godspeed You Black Emperor and both have achieved high success, for prog bands. Sigur Rós's "Takk." is by far their most successful and I was very surprised when I found where it charted, #16 UK (Gold Album), #27 US, #1 Iceland, #5 Portugal (Gold Album) #18 AUS. It is clear from these high chart positions that Sigur Rós is a band to watch and they must have a considerable following. I was sad when I found out that Sigur Rós did a tour of Australia less than a month before I discovered their music, I doubt they will return for quite a while.

Takk. has been described by previous reviewers as being ambient and beautiful, I whole-heartedly agree with these labels. Even from the first song there is a strong atmosphere present, and for once the feeling stays throughout the WHOLE album and doesn't drop, even for a minute. The instrument chiefly in charge of these atmospheres is the guitar, which is played with a cello bow while the guitar is on maximum reverb. I being a guitar player was eager to try this out so I grabbed my viola bow and tried it out, it's actually harder than it sounds as it is very awkward to play.

There are too many songs to go through and I really can't be bothered describing them all, but I will go through a couple. My personal favourite song is "Saeglopur", the opening of the song consists of twinkling bells and piano which is then joined by Jonsi's high beautiful voice. After this intro, the storm comes in which the music gets very loud, but this is a good type of loud, if you get my meaning. It dies down again and returns to regular ambient music. The second song on "Takk." "Glósóli", has some very admirable features and the first "section" of it is very lush and mellow, this feeling is soon joined by a strange sound, which reminds me of Roman Soldier's studded sandals impacting on their extremely well make roads. There is another very loud section followed by a soft ambient finish.

"Milanó" is basically focused around a piano melody which is repeated many time through the song, "Milanó" is the longest song and it also has the most time changes. It changes from being mellow and ambient to being loud and full of retribution. I wonder what the meaning of the last song on this album means, "Heysátan." Perhaps it means hello Satan or something. This brings me to another point the fact that all the vocals are either sung in Icelandic or made up makes no bad impression on the music. I'd actually go as far as saying that I couldn't imagine "Takk." with lyrics in any other language. The fact that Sigur Rós is Icelandic sort of makes their music more interesting and they would probably be inclined to incorporate traditional Icelandic elements into their music. Fusion between different types of music usually creates some type of interesting hybrid style of music.

I personally love Post-rock and "Takk." is one of the leading albums in the genre. Sigur Rós's style of Post-rock is different to that of say. Godspeed You Black Emperor but both contain the same new in old energy. All Post-rock bands use the old and new to create music and this is what makes the genre is great. I'd say that every one should have a sample of Post-rock, just to try it out and I'd say that "Takk." would be quite high on the list, but the last thing I have to say is that not all Post-rock is the same.

Send comments to Australian (BETA) | Report this review (#88100) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 24, 2006

4 stars I really believe that "Takk" is one of the best albums in the Post-Rock genre. I have rarely listened to music that pulls at my emotions like this. This is so uplifting and beautiful, it's difficult to put into words, but i'll try. Eight out of the eleven songs I would give 5 out of 5. Nice packaging as well from the boys of Iceland, although no real information is given other then the titles of the songs.

We get started with the title track and it's so uplifting. It builds and builds then just stops. "Glosoli" begins with a bass line, as we hear gentle singing over top.The bass really strengthens until mayhem occurs. Overwhelming ! "Hoppipolla" is a transcendant song due in part to the strings and the acute vocals. "Mea Blotnasir" builds to a bass / drum / vocal melody. Piano joins in as well. Nice. "Se Lest" is another favourite. Piano eventually comes in before vocals and a fuller sound at 1 1/2 minutes.This sounds amazing. It settles right down to piano only around 5 minutes in. Horns a minute later. The first 5 minutes of this song are beyond words, i'm not as impressed with the last part of the track though.

"Saglopur" sounds absolutely incredible when the fuller sound arrives before 2 minutes. "Milano" may be my favourite, and the most uplifting. Yeah, i know, i'm sounding like a broken record. Lots of atmosphere early. It's building 4 minutes in then settles after 4 1/2 minutes before kicking back in around 7 minutes. "Gong" has some violin in it and it's quite mellow until a fuller sound arrives before a minute. Drums come and eventually vocals. Great sound ! "Andvan" is a beautiful but sad tune. Waves of sound end it. "Suo Hljott" is mellow as well once it gets going. Strings in this one too. It builds beautifuly. This is heavenly. "Heysatan" is mellow with piano. Vocals before 1 1/2 minutes.

Uplifting ! Building ! Emotional ! Beautiful ! These are the words that to me describe "Takk". Truly a Post-Rock masterpiece in every sense of the word !

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#91117) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 23, 2006

Review by Neu!mann
4 stars Anybody wanting a beginner's guide to the music of Sigur Rós will likely find this 2005 album the perfect introduction to their unique and haunting sound. It plays like a reaffirmation of the band's career to date, combining the subtle strengths of "Ágætis Byrjun" (my own initiation into the Sigur Rós soundworld) with the deeper melancholy of their anonymous "( )" album, one moment as delicate as an early morning spider's web, and minutes later loud enough to trigger an avalanche.

Put another way: this is music resting comfortably astride that fine line dividing chamber orchestra intimacy and over-amped electronic mayhem. A typical Sigur Rós song gradually moves from nursery rhyme stillness to noisy, cathartic apotheosis, with falsetto Icelandic voices raised in eerie sing-song harmony mantras under a sheer wall of symphonic strings and droning, fuzzed-out guitars. Even with the expected language/cultural barrier there's enough naked emotion here to bring tears of epiphany to your eyes.

And an atypical Sigur Rós song can be just about anything. Bend an ear toward the track "Gong", a Number One hit single in my own private pop-radio charts.

In short, it's a work of rare maturity, from the understated simplicity of the cover art to the autumnal beauty of the music itself. Is it Prog Rock? Maybe not in any traditional sense, but when did truly progressive music ever stick to tradition?

The way I add it up, 50% neo-classical austerity plus 50% Post-Rock power equals a 100% superlative musical experience, very much deserving a privileged spot in the library of any forward thinking Prog Rock aficionado.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#92943) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 01, 2006

Review by TRoTZ
4 stars In Takk Sigur Rós deffinitely found the way of making good albuns again, revitalazing their sound. The band did not quit intelligentely of their celestial expressionist trademark sound, but moving it into other direction. The album transmitts more an idea of an "nostalgic joyfullness" rather than the funereal feeling of their previous releases. In part, that's the reason for the big commercial success worldwide - they had a terrific formula, they just had to put it in a way people would accept it easily.

The album as great tracks, since the crescendo sonic power of "Glosoli" till the intrigant majestic beauty of "Sorglega", perhaps the best, the album is full of great moments. "Saeglopur" is one of those moments, another moment of deep celestial beauty taken into the cosmic radiance. Other highlights, using the same formula, include "Hoppipolla" and the longest "Milano". Piano lines are all over the album and are quite inspired. So as the back sounds which help the album to reach its profoundness.

A great album. The band seems to be, further and further, more confident and solid on what they're doing, as they reach more maturity. Even though, not enough to surpass the revolutionary Agaetis Byrjun.

Send comments to TRoTZ (BETA) | Report this review (#104158) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 22, 2006

Review by el böthy
4 stars With Takk... it seems Sigur Rós keeps getting more and more happier, something quite rare for it's genre; Post rock. Even more if you think of the influences the band had in their earlier years; I'm talking about the great Radiohead´s and their Icelandic fellow citizen Björk. definitely not happy music (although Björk might not be that sad and depressive either), and the mellow, gloomy yet beautiful previous albums. So, where is Sigur Rós going then? Well, it seems like they have said (is this word correctly used in this word-less music.?) everything they had to say with one style so, in a true progressive act, they changed it, but don't be alarmed old Sigur Rós fans, the change is not abrupt, but gentle and subtle, the band might have said good bye to their blue moody feeling, but a certain melancholy is still present.

The whole album seems also to be very connected from song to song, which makes this (almost) a big piece of music that definitely has to be heard entirely in order to be fully enjoyed.

Although all songs seem to be quite similar at first, it's not really the case; repeatedly listening will show the individuality of each piece that go from the atmospheric "Glsóli", to the incredibly beautiful "Hoppípolla", my personal favorite, to the epics "Sé Lest" and "Milano". The end result is warm, intimist and very personal yet powerful. At first one might wonder what it is that is sounding at certain moments; is that the guitar? Is that the voice? Is that a keyboard? But after a while one stops to wonder about this and just let's the "sound" take one away until it reaches a beautiful calmness with a good chance of falling gently asleep to it.

Definitely not for everybody and for any mood, Metal fans stay away (unless you are open minded), but for those of you that can appreciate the softer, more gentle side of music. well, what are you waiting for?

PS: A piece of advise, do not listen while doing some sort of physical activity, no matter how beautiful it can be sitting down, it can get quite irritating while doing some sport! I know it from personal experience!

Send comments to el böthy (BETA) | Report this review (#116424) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 26, 2007

Review by obiter
4 stars this album was my introduction to Sigur Ros, so my review is tainted with the heightened and exaggerated emotional responses which always accompany first encounters. i don't come with expectations and comparisons ready from previous albums. it's just a first blush response.

well i suppose i should start with the obvious for the completely uninitiated. this is mostly instrumental: often singing is used it is more of a voice instrument rather than a bloke giving it up at centre stage singing "with my hands open, my eyes open, i just keep hopin' your heart opens". i don't know why i thought of that. In some bizarre way meth blothnasir reminds me of Snow Patrol. The vocal style is distinctive and will defintitely not be to everyone's taste: it's the Geddy Lee/Jon Anderson conundrum. Often an unusual vocal style takes getting used to, a bit pf perseveracne here will pay considerable dividends. So run Gong several times to acclimatize.

There's a cliched sentimentality about Hoppipolla I liked: piano/strings/nice build up ... reminds me of verve's backstreeet symphony.

the album drifts to a quieter more subdued end (Andvair-Svo Hljott-Heysatan)

Send comments to obiter (BETA) | Report this review (#140060) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 23, 2007

Review by Prog Leviathan
4 stars Infectiously uplifting with its soaring. bombastic melodies and subtly elegant in its quite ones, Takk is a much more full and satisfying album than the abstract ( ) featuring well arranged and beautiful songs in the bands usual wide range of timbre and tone. Powerful in its ability to both invigorate and hypnotize into placitude, Takk plays well while in a variety of moods and certainly takes the listener on a musical journey through its dynamics, ending with the sobering and peaceful Heysátan.

While not quite as well conceived or varied as the excellent Agaetis Byrjun, Takk remains an exceptional piece of music in its own right and well more than please lovers of emotional, melodic, intense, and beautiful sounds.

Songwriting: 4 Instrumental Performances: 3 Lyrics/Vocals: 4 Style/Emotion/Replay: 4

Send comments to Prog Leviathan (BETA) | Report this review (#157354) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars It is difficult to review this album as it is Sigur Ros.

I believe strongly they are an acquired taste but once you taste you may fall completely for them. Each track meanders patiently along almost fully instrumental and very soulful Hopelandic lyrics drift in and out almost sending you to sleep. In fact I play this often at night as I drift into rapid eye movement and when I awake I feel refreshed knowing that Sigur Ros has comforted my ears.

The songs are impossible to pronounce and I cannot remember a single one off hand to rave about but they all kind of blend together seamlessly as one orchestrated piece. This is very quiet music with a hint of peace tainted by dark overtones.

Takk was not my preferred CD to obtain from the band but it was the cheapest and most accessible at the time of searching in the CD stores so I tried it out as I had heard so much about this enigmatic band.

I cannot say I was completely overwhelmed by their style but it makes a nice change after a day of thrashing Devin Townsend or Rush.

I can only recommend this CD if you want a very tranquil CD sound that calms the nerves and helps you to unwind. I have no idea what the CD is about but there is an ambience that is unmistakeable and pure Sigur Ros.

Try it and see. You can only be surprised at their originality and it is admirable that they consistently bring such an eclectic sound to the prog table.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#215267) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Review by UMUR
4 stars Takk... is the fourth ( excluding remix albums and soundtracks) full-length studio album by Icelandic post rock/ experimental rock act Sigur Ros. I´ve greatly enjoyed both of the previous albums by Sigur Ros. The wonderful and melancholic Ágætis Byrjun (1999) and the even more melancholic and atmospheric ( ) (2002). Great albums that I´ve listened to a lot lately. Takk... continues down the same path.

The music on Takk... doesn´t hold many surprises if you´re familiar with the two previous albums. It´s melancholic and atmospheric post rock/ experimental rock with Jónsi Birgission´s beautiful and high pitched vocals in front. The music is generally slow building and repetitive but not in a trivial way. The music has got an organic sound that I greatly enjoy. The album is rather long with its 65:33 minutes but it never gets trivial and all songs are of high quality.

The musicianship is emotional. Sigur Ros music is not complex but the compositions are still built in a clever way that emphasize emotion and atmosphere.

The production is gorgous. Dynamic and well sounding.

Takk... is another great album by Sigur Ros and my only complaint is that it doesn´t bring much new to the table. As a consequence I don´t hold Takk... in as high regard as Ágætis Byrjun ( which it is closest to in sound and style) and ( ) but it is still a 4 star album. Beautiful melancholy.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#220758) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 12, 2009

Review by Conor Fynes
1 stars 'Takk...' - Sigur Ros (2.5/10)

Well, wasn't this something... I had heard alot of things about Sigur Ros; apparently they were one of the leading post-rock bands of all time, and posessed an immensely beautiful sound. I am a fair fan of the genre (at times being quite enamoured with the musical stylings of God Is An Astronaut and Explosions In The Sky) and alot of what I had heard in the genre had been indeed; quite beautiful in it's orchestration and composition.

What joy it was for me -keeping those high hopes in mind- to come across this little gem, 'Takk.'

I'm blown away... in all the worst ways possible.

Five or so minutes into listening, I became incredibly confused as to why the band's music was so highly rated on this site. What graced my ears was a very confused, noisy, sonic mess, with the occasional agreeable texture popping out of the audio.

With 'Hoppipolla,' I even got a tiny bit hopeful. There was actually a decent piano riff there, although certainly nothing special.

After getting half-way through the album, I was convinced that it wasn't necessarily the instrumentation that bothered me so much (although the noisy mixing would have gotten to me eventually) as much as the gruesome vocals.

Jonsi's vocals are possibly the worst I've ever heard in all of progressive music, no lie. And to all of the obvious lovers of this band, I am quite musically open minded. But listening to what can only be likened to a child having inhaled an overdose of some gaseous substance.

Another thing that irritated me (although this has more to do with the band's style more so than the album in specific) were the nonsensical, Hopelandic vocals. I can understand it's something creative and 'different' (which is what Prog is all about) but having Jonsi chirp out gibberish certainly didn't deter me from thinking I was listening to an infant howl.

The best way I can describe 'Takk...' is if Alvin and the Chipmunks recorded an album and Devin Townsend decided to produce it; it would come out sounding something like this.

I can understand that this isn't for everyone, and I would suggest anyone not initiated into the band should at least give them a try, because apparently I'm a minority in hating them. They are CERTAINLY not for me though. One of the most dissapointing musical journies I've ever taken.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#223652) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 28, 2009

Review by Sinusoid
4 stars Sigur Ros were quite interesting to listen to when I first heard (); quiet, melancholic until the dynamics changed a bit in the second half. My second try with the group is just as interesting as I went along with TAKK... more so than () on the first spin, but TAKK... still takes a few sit-down listens before one ''gets it''. Post-rock is probably the most finnicky genre I've run across simply because you really have to have the right mindset when you listen and failure to do so will make the album rub you the wrong way.

There are eleven tracks in total, but I almost feel that there should be just seven. For example, Track 4 sounds like an extension of ''Hoppipolla''. The middle three tracks I feel are the strongest, particular the climb/descend feel of ''Milano''; it can be an absolutely riveting experience being swept away by the dynamic changes. ''Se lest'' has a far more playful feel complete with a brass band tooting along. The keyboards are pretty rich in spots, the guitars are beautifully subdued and the drumming (the band's strong point) rarely fails to impress. There also seems to be a whole album feel as opposed to track-by-track structure with somewhat of a bookending feel (first and last tracks sound quite similar).

Tracks like ''Gong'' have almost an indie feel to them with the standard rock pattern with slight over-production, but that particular one segues into a more beautiful ''Andvari''. There is this inner beauty to TAKK... that stands out as one of the better albums of the post-rock genre that I've heard, and the strange inter-connected-ness and Jonsi's near angelic vocals only add to the appeal. If you have any interest in post-rock, sit back and let the music flow.

Send comments to Sinusoid (BETA) | Report this review (#527974) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Review by Warthur
4 stars With another gorgeous and delicate album along the lines of ( ), Sigur Ros' Takk may offer nothing in the way of surprises but the distinctive Sigur Ros style of post-rock hasn't become tiresome yet. The fact is that whilst plenty of post-rock bands take inspiration from Sigur Ros, none of them are quite able to recapture the same textures and atmospheres as the band seem to be able to accomplish with ease, so despite the post-rock field having become decidedly crowded by 2005, Takk still stands out in it. Recommended for anyone into Sigur Ros, and for fans of post-rock in general, though I have to say that I'm not sure how many more albums like Takk Sigur Ros can put out before the schtick becomes tiresome.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#688667) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 26, 2012

4 stars Listen to Sigur Ros is a bit ' like looking at a photograph of a little ' blurry, which you do not have a complete perception. This feature is sure to become their brand, and is also the reasons why you love or hate, no middle ground . And even " Takk " is no exception to this rule. In fact, fr ... (read more)

Report this review (#1073724) | Posted by agla | Thursday, November 07, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I don't know which album is much better musically speaking, ( ) , Agaetis Byrjun or Takk; personally I enjoy a lot Takk. It has wonderful songs that are accompanied with wonderful videoswith a lot of message and mystery that you can discover until the end of the song. The album opens with an i ... (read more)

Report this review (#1028805) | Posted by Memo_anathemo | Wednesday, September 04, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars "Takk..." has many of the same ethereal elements as the group's much loved "Agaetis Byrjun". The music is often just as ambient and haunting but this release is slightly more accessible than before, especially compared to its predecessor, ( ). I like this very much for its many optimistic touc ... (read more)

Report this review (#455616) | Posted by Frankie Flowers | Wednesday, June 01, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Another very good Post Rock/Math Rock album from Iceland's own. I like the overall feel of the album, a little more upbeat/positive feeling than ( ), though with a lot of quiet space. In my mind, Takk..., ( ), and Ágaetis Byrjun are all pretty equal as overall albums. The first one I heard will prob ... (read more)

Report this review (#406581) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Wednesday, February 23, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This album is perhaps stronger than its predecessor, and if it's not quite the masterpiece that AGAETIS BYRJUN is, it shows the band moving in interesting directions. (Unfortunately, the next album, 2008's "Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust," found the band taking a step backwards, away fro ... (read more)

Report this review (#247759) | Posted by jude111 | Monday, November 02, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars If the change from "Ágætis Byrjun" to "()" was big, the transition from that one to "Takk..." is even bigger, who would guess that after an emotionally violent and melancholic album, they would go happy? "Takk..." is literally a happy record, very pretty, but very happy, very different from its p ... (read more)

Report this review (#224209) | Posted by JTP88 | Thursday, July 02, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars It takes a couple of bottles of champagne with a friend and the notion of a good year coming to be able to review this album. There is no surprise in describing Sigur Ros as beautiful. And maybe it is the champagne speaking when I say only women evoke the emotion this album aludes in me. Beyond ... (read more)

Report this review (#157356) | Posted by DAVA | Tuesday, January 01, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars What??? I actually do really really like Sigur Ros and intend to do some reviews of their other albums some time - which were truly magnificent (esp Agaetis Byrjun). But this one - I don't understand why I don't like it so much - I can't get my head around why. There are exceptions - "Glos ... (read more)

Report this review (#151316) | Posted by PinkPangolin | Saturday, November 17, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars If I were to rate this on first listening, it would get a 3.5. That's because some of the music is quite dense and possibly samey. But on repeated listenings all becomes clear. This is a very strong album. Obviously Hoppipola is known well thanks to BBC's Planet Earth, but this isn't about one t ... (read more)

Report this review (#142385) | Posted by memark | Saturday, October 06, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars First I need to admit myself being huge Sigur Ros fan, so it might act over my objectivity. Anyway, I believe this is fantastic record. Take, for example First track, intro called Takk, it is so icy and so warm in the same time, just like winter sun that shines over snow. First real song, Glosol ... (read more)

Report this review (#140509) | Posted by nisandzic | Tuesday, September 25, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I find Takk... to be a decent post-rock album, but a bit static and unexciting. As always, Sigur are trying to lock us in that emotional space, and do well at it normally, but sometimes come across as synthetic, insincere, and forced. This particular album is more diverse and more pleasurable to h ... (read more)

Report this review (#132210) | Posted by Shakespeare | Tuesday, August 07, 2007 | Review Permanlink

1 stars "Takk..." is like a going out on a date with a girl who tries to look pretty (and probably is). Things seem to go good for a while until you realize she has absolutely no personality, a hellish bore to talk to with nothing to say about anything. She is in fact so boring that you easily see throu ... (read more)

Report this review (#125753) | Posted by Arsillus | Thursday, June 14, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Of all of Sigur Ros' work, Takk... is the most alive. Whereas other albums carried the feel and energy of a funeral procession, Takk... breaks out of this mold. The melodies are often brighter, even upbeat and sometimes even resembling carnival music. Although, Sigur Ros ensure nothing ever gets ... (read more)

Report this review (#111138) | Posted by Equality 7-2521 | Friday, February 09, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Takk... is an absolutely amazing piece of work by the Icelandic post-rock group. It is certainly a step up from (), and, quite possibly, even from Ágætis byrjun. From the wildly adventurous Glósóli, to the woefully dramatic Sæglopúr, to the beautiful, majestic Hoppípolla, this album is a work ... (read more)

Report this review (#101399) | Posted by Momentary Lapse | Saturday, December 02, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I can't believe my luckyness. Last week i went to the cinema, and by the way i entered the cd store. My eyes just fell off by seeing special edition Takk... on the shelves, when here in Argentina you can't even find classic albums such as Mirage, Tubular Bells or Fragile. When i went to ask about ... (read more)

Report this review (#69618) | Posted by | Thursday, February 16, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I bought this amazing, stunning, romantic, beautiful album today. I listened it and.. well listened it again. This album represents the best moments of todays songwriting and musicianship. I have not heard Agaetis or ( ) but I'm sure I will buy them next. This is the album I play when my girlfrie ... (read more)

Report this review (#68534) | Posted by | Monday, February 06, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars By far my favorite post-rock band, Sigur Ros challenges me to describe their type of music in one sentence. Elegantly blending classical appeal, exquisite vocals, sonorous bursts of instrumentation, and slow-building music, the band clearly fits into the post- rock genre, by my understanding of ... (read more)

Report this review (#68261) | Posted by stonebeard | Friday, February 03, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Their best album to date. Their's no word to describe the intense emotions I feel when I listen to it. If you can watch the video to 'glosoli', you'll see how beautiful yet strange music they can make. They use the full dynamic range a CD can render to build an intense and dramatic climax ( ... (read more)

Report this review (#63942) | Posted by | Tuesday, January 10, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I would've put this album 5 stars, but when this in my opinion only works as nightmusic and backgroundmusic, I won't give it 5. The music is happy and the chords are almost always majors, so it makes you think of good things and to sink in to fantasy dreamscapes of your making. Magnific! ... (read more)

Report this review (#62302) | Posted by oravamangusti | Friday, December 30, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, I'm speechless. This band is absolutely great. Try any of their albums. I first heard them while watching "The life aquatic with Steve Zissou". The word "beatiful" comes to mind. This band's music is just awsome (if you like the gender, that is). At risk of sound naib, or too entusiastic ... (read more)

Report this review (#57441) | Posted by cuncuna | Tuesday, November 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SIGUR RÓS "Takk..."