Sigur Rós - Takk... CD (album) cover

Sigur Rós

Post Rock/Math rock

PinkPangolin
2 stars What???

I actually do really really like Sigur Ros and intend to do some reviews of their other albums some time - which were truly magnificent (esp Agaetis Byrjun).

But this one - I don't understand why I don't like it so much - I can't get my head around why. There are exceptions - "Glosoli" for example is really really good - the way it builds up is fantastic, although it's really weird.

Maybe it's just that falsetto voice - it sounds like he's straining too hard (you hear gasps of breath) - I mean it works on their previous albums, but here it's gone over the border and is over-the-top.

Milano is good but it lasts too long. Se lest and Saglopur are incredibly boring (too much glockenspiel) and don't build up in the way their older album music did - you end up just switching it off - I simply cannot listen to this all the way through. Background music for adverts, cinemas and supermarkets.

I would recommend Sigur Ros for the lovers of the weird, the slow-moving, somewhat minimalistic.

Personally, I just don't get it - a pity because I love their other albums. A bit over-the-top avant-garde - like the pile of bricks in the Tate gallery - you look at it for a while out of fascination why it's there, but you then move on to paintings and art that please the eye.

My wife said it sounds like a choir - I guess so. I like choral music, but I think I would rather buy some random Christmas Carols album.

Good if you want to lose yourself staring at the ceiling in your bedroom trying to fall asleep - but you won't reach the end.

On the other hand, I was pleased that they did get some measure of fame with this, because they are good - this one's just not for me that's all.

PinkPangolin | 2/5 |