Pain Of Salvation - The Perfect Element Part 1 CD (album) cover

THE PERFECT ELEMENT PART 1

Pain Of Salvation

Finnforest
3 stars The Perfect Element is one of the first prog-metal albums that I picked up since coming to this site. I have played it countless times and have to admit that I just can't quite see the masterpiece that so many others do. I keep waiting for it to grab me like their later stuff has. I do like it and it is good but I don't think it's quite in the same league as Remedy Lane or Be.

As always the playing is just immaculate and I'm always most impressed with Hermansson and Hallgren. The both blow my mind off the map. My favorites are probably "In the Flesh" which has some great rock moments but also a nice light touch at the end with beautiful piano and acoustic. The lead-in to "Ashes" is really nice. I also love the "Falling" intro and the title track that closes the album. The drumming build-up towards the end is somewhat dramatic but even there it should have been more. I think this album was important in their maturation process and you can see tinges of the genius that would come on the future releases.

The booklet, lyrics, photos, and concept are all very well done. I really wish I could like it more but it doesn't move me very much. 3.25 stars for obvious talent and ambition. I would fervently push PoS newbies to head straight into Remedy and Be instead.

Finnforest | 3/5 |