Marillion - Clutching At Straws CD (album) cover

CLUTCHING AT STRAWS

Marillion

progaardvark
3 stars Clutching at Straws was the last Marillion album to be fronted by Fish as he would leave the band in 1988 due to "musical differences." There are quite a few critics that consider Clutching at Straws to be the best of the Fish era. I guess I am in the minority here, as I think of it as the worst of all the Fish-era albums released by Marillion. That's not to say that it's bad, it's a rather good album. It's just not on the same level of musical ability as the first two Marillion albums, Script for a Jester's Tear and Fugazi. Clutching at Straws is less progressive than their earlier efforts and consists chiefly of more song-oriented, radio-friendly material. It's mostly because of this that I cannot assign this album more than three stars. If it were "Rock Archives," four stars would have been more suitable.

In many regards, Clutching at Straws has the feel of a Fish solo album. If you've ever listened to Fish's solo material, you'll understand what I mean by that. Definitely a precursor and foundation for the rest of Fish's career. Recommended for Marillion fans as this album fares better than most Hogarth-era releases. Also recommended for prog fans on the lighter side of AOR-tinged, accessible, song-oriented prog. All others, Marillion's first two albums are the place to start. Three stars. Good, but hardly essential.

progaardvark | 3/5 |