Dream Theater - Dark Side Of The Moon CD (album) cover

DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

Dream Theater

russellk
2 stars Ugh.

This isn't pretty. DREAM THEATER play PINK FLOYD. As I began listening I found myself asking WHY? Why on earth would they do this? And, given they have, why does it sound so incredibly cold? Hoiw did they manage to suck all the life out of the record?

See, PINK FLOYD were the epitome of the British dichotomy: reserved and precise on the one hand, as exemplified by their carefully constructed sound; repressively, sphincter-tighteningly angry as only the Brits can get (a la John Cleese) in their lyrics and GILMOUR'S passionate guitar solos.

DREAM THEATER capture none of that. All they do is play the notes (well) and sing (badly, oh dear, LABRIE really finds singing difficult, doesn't he). But that doesn't make music. Now I'm no DREAM THEATER basher. For proof, check out my DT reviews. But I can't abide this sort of exercise. Yes, play some live covers, even some FLOYD if you must, though plainly you don't understand the music. Oh, but please, don't release it.

This really is a poor, one-star effort. But it will appeal to fans, so it has to be awarded two stars.

russellk | 2/5 |