DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

Good, but non-essential

Buy DREAM THEATER Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2006

Disc 1
1. Speak To Me/Breathe (3:55)
2. On The Run (2:26)
3. Time (7:02)
4. The Great Gig in the Sky (4:35)
5. Money (6:35)
6. Us And Them (8:02)
7. Any Colour You Like (5:05)
8. Brain Damage (3:49)
9. Eclipse (2:48)

Disc 2
1. Echoes Pt. 1 (12:00)
2. One of These Days (6:24)
3. Sheep (9:42)
4. In the Flesh? (2:56)
5. Run Like Hell (1:58)
6. Hey You (4:49)
7. Comfortably Numb (7:22)

Search DREAM THEATER Dark Side Of The Moon lyrics

- Jordan Rudess / keyboards & lap steel guitar

With:
- Theresa Thomason / vocals
- Norbert Stachel / saxophone
- Derek Sherinian / keyboards (4, 5, & 6 of disc 2)
- Queensryche / special guests (7 of disc 2)

released at the April 1st 20th Anniversary show as a limited edition live 2-disc set.

Thanks to FragileDT for the addition
and to yodanoc for the last updates

DREAM THEATER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DREAM THEATER Dark Side Of The Moon Music

Six Degrees of Inner TurbulenceSix Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Wea/Elektra Entertainment 2002
Images & WordsImages & Words
Atlantic 1992
A Dramatic Turn of Events (Special Edition) (CD+DVD)A Dramatic Turn of Events (Special Edition) (CD+DVD)
Roadrunner Records 2011
Black Clouds & Silver Linings (3 CD Special Edition)Black Clouds & Silver Linings (3 CD Special Edition)
Roadrunner Records 2009
Falling Into InfinityFalling Into Infinity
Atlantic 0191 2012
Systematic ChaosSystematic Chaos
Roadrunner Records 2007
Change of SeasonsChange of Seasons
Atlantic 1995
DREAM THEATER : METROPOLIS PT 2: SCENES FROM A MEMORY **NEW CD** US $11.18 Buy It Now 35m 15s
Dream Theater - Images & Words Import-EU Vinyl Record LP US $47.64 Buy It Now 48m 13s
DREAM THEATER : AWAKE **NEW CD** US $11.18 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Soul Cages - s/t - '94 RARE First cd Queensryche Dream Theater Prog Metal OOP US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 24m
DREAM THEATER : SYSTEMATIC CHAOS **NEW CD** US $12.12 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Dream Theater Live At Luna Park (Deluxe Edition) [Book + 2 DVDs + Blu-ray + 3 C. US $63.83 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Dream Theater - When Dream And Day Unite CD (1989) One Way Records US $7.00 Buy It Now 4h 57m
Stride / Imagine JAPAN+1 Dream Theater OOP!!!!! A US $34.99 Buy It Now 5h 5m
Pathosray / ST JAPAN+1 DGM Dream Theater D US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 7m
Dream Theater / When Dream And Day Unite JAPAN *E US $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 7m
DREAM THEATER 5CD NEW Images & Words/Awake/Falling/Metropolis 2/Train Of Thought US $20.94 Buy It Now 5h 10m
LABYRINTH S/T CD BONUS TRACKS DREAM THEATER QUEENSRYCHE SYMPHONY X FATES WARNING US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 21m
LABYRINTH NO LIMITS LIMITED EDITION CD JAPAN PRESS NO OBI DREAM THEATER KAMELOT US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 40m
DREAM THEATER - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (reissue) - 2xLP US $39.13 Buy It Now 6h 25m
DREAM THEATER - Falling Into Infinity (reissue) - 180 gram audiophile vinyl 2xLP US $44.15 Buy It Now 6h 26m
SUN CAGED S/T CD MARCEL COENEN PLANET X EVERGREY PAIN OF SALVATION DREAM THEATER US $7.99 Buy It Now 7h 17m
DREAM THEATER - GREATEST HIT - 2 CD NEW AND ORIGINAL US $13.90 Buy It Now 7h 36m
STOLEN MEMORIES - The Strange Order (CD 2010) Progressive Metal Dream Theater US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 13m
EMPTY TREMOR - Iridium (CD 2010) Progressive Metal Fates Warning Dream Theater US $15.99 Buy It Now 8h 16m
DREAM THEATER IMAGES & WORDS 1992 JAPAN CD OBI 2400yen US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 18m
DREAM THEATER-S/T-JAPAN CD DVD H70 US $38.99 Buy It Now 8h 31m
DREAM.THEATER- systematic chaos(2LP) m-/m-/m- US $20.25 Buy It Now 8h 35m
PSICOFONIA angel obscuro ( DREAM THEATER ) PROGMETAL CD US $8.49 Buy It Now 8h 52m
SHADOW GALLERY Room V (1 Bonus Track) KOREA CD New DREAM THEATER US $13.99 Buy It Now 9h 23m
Dream Theater - Awake (1994) CD US $7.51 Buy It Now 9h 24m
Dream Theater - Live Scenes From New York. Ultra Rare!! 1st release. US $25.00 [0 bids]
SHADOW GALLERY Digital Ghosts (1 Bonus Track) KOREA CD New DREAM THEATER US $13.99 Buy It Now 9h 33m
Dream Theater (Majesty) - 1986 Demo US $3.50 [1 bids]
Dream Theater - Lie / ORG 94 Eastwest US $7.61 [5 bids]
Dream Theater - Falling Into Infinity / Japan 2CD US $3.75 [2 bids]
Dream Theater - Live At The Marquee / Japan US $6.50 [3 bids]
Dream Theater - Live Scenes From New York / Japan 3CD Original Cover US $10.55 [3 bids]
Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner / Japan 2CD + 1 + Card + Calendar US $11.50 [5 bids]
Dream Theater - Mission Impossible / 1993 Japan 2CD US $15.41 [3 bids]
Dream Theater - Through Her Eyes / ORG 2000 Elektra US $3.75 [2 bids]
Dream Theater - The Silent Man / ORG 94 Eastwest US $6.50 [3 bids]
DREAM THEATER train of thought EU CD JE43 US $7.99 Buy It Now 11h 4m
DREAM THEATER falling into infinity CD SEALED IJ10 US $7.99 Buy It Now 11h 4m
MEGADETH DREAM THEATER ANTHRAX SYMPHONY X NEVERMORE Gigantour KOREA 2 CD New US $14.99 Buy It Now 11h 23m
Sevendust, Dream Theater, Marcy Playground, Green Day, Joan Jett - U.S PROMO cd US $12.47 Buy It Now 13h 2m
Dream Theater, Systematic Chaos (W/Dvd) (Spec) Audio CD US $13.99 Buy It Now 13h 27m
Indukti S.U.S.A.R. (Mariusz Duda) VINYL LP Riverside, Opeth, Dream Theater TOOL US $45.00 Buy It Now 15h 17m
Dream Theater - Dream Theater (CD & DVD Special Edition) (Music CD) US $26.48 Buy It Now 15h 30m
DREAM THEATER - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Deluxe Collector's Edition Box Set US $80.00 [0 bids]
Stanford Prison Experiment, Dream Theater, Eve 6, Sevendust, Luxx - U.S PROMO cd US $12.47 Buy It Now 15h 43m
Dream Theater - Through Her Eyes CD Germany Import 2000 US $14.99 Buy It Now 15h 53m
DREAM THEATER - IMAGES AND WORDS -SEALED VINYL 2LP LIMITED EDITION 740/2000 US $65.00 [0 bids]
DREAM THEATER - The Dance Of Eternity - Live 1993 - RARE & HARD TO FIND US $249.00 [0 bids]
DREAM THEATER - Mind Control - Live in Urawa 1995 - Very Rare & Hard To Find OOP US $249.00 [0 bids]
DREAM THEATER International Fan Clubs CD 1999 "CLEANING OUT THE CLOSET" Long OOP US $99.00 [0 bids]
DREAM THEATER ILLUMINATION THEORY * RSD 2014 * PRESALE * PICTURE DISC US $75.00 Buy It Now 17h 9m
Dream Theater CHAOS IN MOTION 2 DVD / 3 CD box set NEW & SEALED US $65.00 Buy It Now 17h 17m
Godsmack, Dream Theater, Fuel, Tonic, Buckcherry, Alice In Chains - U.S PROMO cd US $12.47 Buy It Now 17h 42m
Dream Theater - LIVE and WORDS. bootleg. Ultra Rare! US $19.99 [0 bids]
Dream Theater Live UK Concert Tour October 2000 poster A5 size US $25.08 Buy It Now 21h 19m
OPETH WATERSHED 2 LP VINYL POSTER CD OOP porcupine tree meshuggah dream theater US $150.00 [0 bids]
Dream Theater Falling Into Infinity Cassette US $5.99 Buy It Now 22h 58m
Dream Theater - Awake / TH Cassette US $5.99 Buy It Now 23h 3m
'Attack of the 50ft Ear Infection' (Kyuss,Dream Theater) Unplayed CD PROMO 1995 US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ALBUM NETWORK TUNE-UP #87 Kiss PSA, Dream Theater + more CD PROMO ONLY 1992 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ALBUM NETWORK TUNE-UP #30 Dream Theater,Duran Duran,Gary Moore,etc CD PROMO 1989 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER - "Live At The Marquee" CD 1993 1st GERMAN - ORIG ATCO - No UPC US $25.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Dream Theater - Live At Luna Park [Book + 2 DVDs + Blu-ray + 3 CDs] (Box Set) US $84.97 Buy It Now 1 day
Rare Metal 2 CD GIGANTOUR LIVE ORG spv 2005 Megadeth Anthrax Dream Theater US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Neal Morse: Testimony In A Coruņa 2011 (Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Marillion) US $45.00 [0 bids]
Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence - RARE IMPORT 2xCD Prog LISTEN US $11.24 Buy It Now 1 day
JORDAN RUDESS: All That Is Now CD 2013 NEW Dream Theater US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
JAMES LABRIE STATIC IMPULSE CD NEW 2011 DREAM THEATER US $5.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Riverside Rapid Eye Movement Polish prog metal Dream Theater digipack US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
RIVERSIDE - ANNO DOMINI HIGH DEFINITION CD + DVD Porcupine Tree Dream Theater US $14.00 Buy It Now 1 day
+ DREAM THEATER Greatest Hits 2CD VGC digipak US $8.87 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER Once in a Livetime 180g Audiophile Vinyl 4LP Record Live NEW 2013 US $50.96 Buy It Now 1 day
LIQUID TRIO EXPERIMENT - SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION (New Sealed) CD Dream Theater US $8.35 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER CD " Awake " ** PROG. METAL ** 1994' US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER S/T 2013 DELUXE CD/DVDA NEW & SEALED US $23.34 Buy It Now 1 day
Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare Japan CD +1 Bonus Track Mike Portnoy Dream Theater US $19.99 [0 bids]
DREAM THEATER**SIX DEGREES OF TURBULENCE (180G)**2 VINYL SET US $37.50 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER**FALLING INTO INFINITY (180G)**2 VINYL SET US $37.50 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER - GREATEST HIT (& 21 Other Pretty Cool Songs): 2CD SET (2008) US $11.29 Buy It Now 1 day
Chaos in Motion: 2007-2008 [Box] [CD & DVD] by Dream Theater (CD, Sep-2008, 5... US $84.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Dream Theater - Images And Words LTD Limited Steel Box Collection mega rare US $19.99 [0 bids]
Dream Theater - Lie CD Single EP rare Mike Portnoy Kevin Moore US $19.99 [2 bids]
DREAM THEATER OCTAVARIUM LP X 2 MINT 180GM GRAM US $38.46 Buy It Now 1 day
Dream Theater Black Clouds & Silver Linings 1686-178832 CD Box79-1ICD US $9.99 [0 bids]
Dream Theater: When Dream And Day Unite CD 1989 MCA Mechanic MCD42259 Germany US $24.95 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM-THEATER ~ Live at Budokan { 3 CD Set } US $13.99 [0 bids]
Dream Theater - Live In Stockholm - RARE CD US $50.17 Buy It Now 1 day
JELLY JAM self titled CD Progressive Classic Rock Kings X/Dream Theater 2002 NEW US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Platypus Ice Cycles (CD, 2000) Kings X, Ty Tabor, Dream Theater US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER - When Dream And Day Unite - Orig.Mechanic Records -New not sealed US $19.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Dream Theater Illumination Theory RSD 2014 Record Store Day Picture Disc Vinyl US $45.00 [0 bids]
Entropy [2005] * by All Too Human (CD, Jul-2004, Steelheart)Dream Theater US $3.00 [0 bids]
Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence LP, new US $29.00 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER**ONCE IN A LIVE TIME (GATEFOLD/180 GRAM)**4 VINYL SET US $49.50 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER**2004: LIVE AT BUDOKAN (180 GRAM/GATEFOLD)**4 VINYL SET US $49.50 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER**SCORE: 20TH ANNIVERSARY WORLD TOUR (180 G/GF)**4 VINYL SET US $49.50 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW DREAM THEATER ALONG FOR THE RIDE TOUR DATE 2014 BLACK SHIRT S,M,L,XL,2XL NV1 US $21.98 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW DREAM THEATER ALONG FOR THE RIDE TOUR DATE 2014 BLACK SHIRT S,M,L,XL,2XL NV1 US $19.98 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW DREAM THEATER ALONG FOR THE RIDE TOUR DATE 2014 BLACK SHIRT S,M,L,XL,2XL NV1 US $22.98 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW DREAM THEATER ALONG FOR THE RIDE TOUR DATE 2014 BLACK SHIRT S,M,L,XL,2XL NV1 US $21.48 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy DREAM THEATER music online Buy DREAM THEATER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DREAM THEATER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DREAM THEATER Dark Side Of The Moon ratings distribution

DREAM THEATER Dark Side Of The Moon reviews

Review by Gatot
4 stars It's really like Pink Floyd!

I have enjoyed rock music since I was a 14-year old boy in a small city in Indonesia. At that time there were many cassette offerings with various kind of music. Especially for rock music there were varieties of groups from Deep Purple to King Crimson. I knew Pink Floyd "Dark Side of The Moon" sometime in 1975 and really amazed with the kind of music the band plays. Because I was more familiar with straight rock, I could enjoy "Money" and "Time" easily without any barriers at all. In fact, I used "Time" as my wake up call using a timer. When this album was available in CD format, I purchased it right away and I think it was some time in the end of 80s. I did not have the CD player because I could not afford it. With this CD I also purchased Marillion's "Misplaced Childhood" even though I already had the LP.

Another one or two years later I could afford to buy a CD player and I did enjoy Dark Side of The Moon very much. The album actually has no complex arrangement at all but it does have an awesome soundscape and effects. I admire this album from this standpoint as well as the tight composition. I was kind like having an imagination that this album would be very tough to be emulated the same as the studio album because it has varied effects and wonderful soundscapes. In fact, in my collection of laser disc that features Pink Floyd live, performing some songs of Dark Side of The Moon, I could not sense the nuance and "soul" of the album on live performance (even by Pink Floyd themselves!).

But ... just couple of weeks ago I had a chance to enjoy this live set by Dream Theater and it BLEW me away at first spin.

WHY?

First off, Dream Theater can be considered asthe most popular progressive band in the world today. Look at this page and the post at the top right of HOME page where its latest album "Systematic Chaos" has been the most popular album with hundred plus reviews where the abum has just officially been released early June 2007. Many youngsters think nowadays that progressive music is Dream Theater while Dream Theater is progressive music. That's FACT that we all cannot deny. It seems awkward and weird if you find youngsters who claim as they like rock music but they don't know Dream Theater. Give me a break!Their music is really specific and they have their own character. No one would doubt their reputation.

Second, Pink Floyd is a legendary progressive band who laid their strong foundation since the psychedelic era of end 60s. The Dark Side of The Moon represents the band's ultimate achievement as it stayed for long period of time at Billboards top chart. Anyone who love rock music since 70s or 80s period would definitely know who Pink Floyd is.

Third, Dream Theater performed (live) Pink Floyd music wholeheartedly so that it created very positive image for the band. I would say that their performance for Dark Side of The Moon is very close to perfect. The Dark Side of The Moon was presented in almost exactly the same with what I listened to it during my childhood. I was really amazed on how Portnoy switched his style completely to have a drum sound which is very very close to Nick Mason's. Petrucci also retains his self-indulgent through emulating David Gilmour's guitar sound. Jordan Rudess also plays very similar like Rick Wright. I guess John Myung plays standard 4-string bass for this performance. All add up beautifully in PINK FLOYD's SOUND! In addition, LaBrie vocal is of course cannot deny that it's not as closer to Roger or Dave. But that's okay because it's a God given thing. The track that I was affraid the band could not perform well was "The Great Gig In The Sky". I was wrong! The band performed wonderfully with additional lead vocal by Theresa Thomasson. WOW!!!!

Fourth, covering legendary band like Pink Floyd means to me that Dream Theater (with its big name and brand) appreciates the legendary band (PINK FLOYD). On the other side of the coin, this cover version will give a chance for younger people to know one of the world's best progressive bands in the 70s that most of us must remember.

On top of the Dark Side of The Moon, the band also covers other Pink Floyd tracks. "Echoes" is performed in a close perfection. The toughest thing is "Comfortably Numb" especially during openig track with its unique ambient. This version cannot get the nuance very well even though the overall performance is excellent.

Overall, this is an excellent addition to any prog music collection. It's a MUST have for any of you who love prog music. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#126032) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 16, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars The "DSOTM" part of this release was already available for a long time before the official release on the Internet (at least the Amsterdam show).

The band decided to play several albums in full after their original "DT" set when they would play several gigs in the same town. "Metallica" with "Master Of Puppets" and "Iron Maiden" with "The Number Of Te Beast" would be the first ones.

"Dream Theater" has often incorporated covers in their live sets (Elton John, Purple, FLoyd...). But to play the full of "DSOTM", such a lengendary prog album was kind of a daunting task.

And I have to say that it is a very good cover effort. Of course, I prefer a band as "The Machine" whi is one of the best Floyd cover band on the road because their approach is probably more faithful in spirit and more convincing. Bizzarely, the audience react quite well to these numbers (which does not really belong to "Dream Theater" repertoire).

The other songs are OK (as any professional cover band could do). Somewhat harder like "One Of These Days" (some will say massacred).

"DT" has now the fame of these covers. And again, they are doing quite right. "Time", and "Us & Them" are very well rendered.

One song of the second CD (not available on the first boot one) is the absolutely unexpected "Echoes". If there was one song that one wouln't have thought of being played by "Dream Theater" it is definitively "Echoes". It is one of my top three Floyd song (with ASOS and "SOYCD"). Such a version is also available from "Mostly Autumn. To be honest (and this always have been my policy) this version is ...very good. What else can I say ? I really can't tell it is bullsh.t when it isn't, right ?

"In The Flesh" is an old story already. It was featured on "A Change Of Season". The only poor rendition (IMO) is "Run Like Hell".

One personal comment. It sounds strange to me that the hords of "DT" fans (from 200 to 500 per album) are so quiet about this release (two reviews with comments). As if they are shy that their beloved band produced such a release. Of course, it won't convert "DT" into a full progressive band (which they definitely not are and never will be).

Still, this is a good example of the band's ability. I only wish that they will perform the full of "Made In Japan" in their live set that I am going to attend next Thursday (they already did this; so I am not talking about science-fiction).

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#141210) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 30, 2007

Review by russellk
2 stars Ugh.

This isn't pretty. DREAM THEATER play PINK FLOYD. As I began listening I found myself asking WHY? Why on earth would they do this? And, given they have, why does it sound so incredibly cold? Hoiw did they manage to suck all the life out of the record?

See, PINK FLOYD were the epitome of the British dichotomy: reserved and precise on the one hand, as exemplified by their carefully constructed sound; repressively, sphincter-tighteningly angry as only the Brits can get (a la John Cleese) in their lyrics and GILMOUR'S passionate guitar solos.

DREAM THEATER capture none of that. All they do is play the notes (well) and sing (badly, oh dear, LABRIE really finds singing difficult, doesn't he). But that doesn't make music. Now I'm no DREAM THEATER basher. For proof, check out my DT reviews. But I can't abide this sort of exercise. Yes, play some live covers, even some FLOYD if you must, though plainly you don't understand the music. Oh, but please, don't release it.

This really is a poor, one-star effort. But it will appeal to fans, so it has to be awarded two stars.

Send comments to russellk (BETA) | Report this review (#141411) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 01, 2007

Review by chopper
3 stars I'm no expert on Dream Theater but I was intrigued to hear what they would make of this classic of classic prog albums. Well, it's almost an exact copy, even down to using the same sound effects of clocks etc. The music of the original album is fairly starightforward so there's not much room for them to show off here, except for Petrucci in the Time and Money solos (which he does pretty well). The only time the band really lets rip is in Brain Damage.

All in all it's well done but it's so similar to the original that you wonder why they released it and whether people would listen to this in favour of the original. Full marks to the female singer for a great version of Great Gig in the Sky!

Send comments to chopper (BETA) | Report this review (#161275) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 08, 2008

Review by J-Man
3 stars 3.5 stars really!

This album is Dream Theater's version of one of the most recognizable and famous albums in the prog community and beyond. This is one of the best bands taking on this album. The result is much better than I thought. I thought a bunch of factors combined could somewhat mess up the album. For the most part, that doesn't happen.

However, there are a couple of times this happens. It's obvious that James LaBrie's voice doesn't fit this style. Sometimes it is worse than others though. It's also obvious that JP's guitar sound isn't at all similar to David Gilmour's style. It's obvious that Petrucci tries to sound a little bit like Gilmour, but that is somewhat a disappointment in itself. I would have liked them to change up the music to their style a little more, but instead it sounds almost the same. Even the sound effects are the same.

With that said, everything is still played well and is overall very good. The recording quality is also pretty good for a bootleg. I haven't mentioned Disc 2 yet. That contains a few sections from The Wall, as well as stuff from various other albums. If you are a die hard Pink Floyd fan or a die hard DT fan, you might be a little disappointment. However, from whatever camp you are in, you can't deny that this is a great version of great work from a classic prog band.

3.5/5 stars.

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#200745) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 26, 2009

Review by jampa17
4 stars The Prog band of the late 90's covering the Prog band of the 70's. A great result.

I know there's many people that don't see anything similar between this two bands (myself included) but it's not a secret that Dream Theater guys are completely fans of the Floyds. They have covered one Metallica's album as well as one Iron Maiden, and it was about time to cover a more progressive release.

For instance, I really think that this live version brings a lot more "life" to the album. The intensity of the crowd and the strength of DT gave new life and it was great. The original album is one of the most recommended albums in history of prog rock and I don't really felt it that great. I know it's maybe good for the moment it was made, but I do find it too paced and slow, and sometimes is good and the Floyds bluesy edge is great for some moods, but there's nothing impressive about this record in particular. That being said, I do want to say it's not a bad album, just average for me. So, this live version is a lot more interesting because is more intense and fresh, so it was nice to hear. I know Mike Portnoy was a lot worry to make a worthy tribute, and they really succeeded at it.

The guest players made a great performance along with DT. Teresa Thomason brought a lot of life with her magical and powerful voice, as well as the sax player did a wonderful job covering the sax solo on the song Money.

Now, it's evident that James Labrie's voice is not the best match to this style of music. He didn't made a bad interpretation, but it's not like the original version. Not even close. Again, for me that's not bad, I think he made a good job and he is the original voice of DT, so if you get it as a cover version more than a copy version, is up to you to understand the goal of a cover album.

Good performance indeed and the live energy is all there. I really recommend this peace for any Pink Floyd fan that is not use to DT, it's a good place to start. And the quality of sound is great for being a bootleg. DT fans should check this out as well. 4 stars is fair. A very different side, a obscure side, a Dark Side of Dream Theater that any fan should discover.

Send comments to jampa17 (BETA) | Report this review (#273755) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 23, 2010

2 stars I remember showing my daughter this cd just after I bought it and she just looked at me and said "Why?". Now I know why she said that (haha). At the time I just figured it would be cool to hear these guys cover one of my all-time favourite albums because of how well these guys play as evidenced on the "Change Of Seasons" EP. What I should have considered is that PINK FLOYD is different than most bands.Their music is about ideas, atmosphere and mood.These things are more difficult to copy than complex music for a band like DREAM THEATER. It starts off great with the sound of the crowd in anticipation, then hearing that heartbeat.The crowd claps along then the other samples come in like spoken word samples which sound like the real thing right from FLOYD.Then that dreamy and spacey music kicks in and it all sounds so good. LaBrie doesn't sound so bad at first but as this plays out it's clear his vocals are a distraction for me.What's worse is the fact that they don't always use the real FLOYD samples from here on out, and instead try to copy them and the results aren't pretty. Best part of the whole album is Theresa Thomason singing on "The Great Gig In The Sky". My God ! The loudest ovation on here is reserved for her when she finishes and for good reason. This is a fans only rating in my opinion and nothing more. Now where's my real "Dark Side Of The Moon" album ?

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#447956) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 14, 2011

4 stars So Dark Side of the Moon is one of the most appraised albums from Rock and Prog. But this is the version by Dream Theater, not Pink Floyd... well, it's almost the same album anyway, just about all of it is played the same way as in the original release. And ofcourse it's all great. Still, ... (read more)

Report this review (#281054) | Posted by Dellinger | Saturday, May 08, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Being the die hard Floyd fan that I am, it was pretty hard to hear DSotM being performed by anybody other than Pink Floyd. With that being said, Dream Theater did better than I expected them to. I found that they were able to stay very true to the album and did some good covers, although nothing ... (read more)

Report this review (#251819) | Posted by Awake | Thursday, November 19, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars As all good fans of both Floyd and Dream Theater, I've been trying to find this album ever since I learned it exsisted. And find it I did at a local used record store! I was happer then a Progger in a used record store (...wait...). Dream Theater does a wonderful job at capturing the essents ... (read more)

Report this review (#174056) | Posted by mothershabooboo | Monday, June 16, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars well....this album is definitely something that you'd like to listen to someday, being a DT and Floyd fan....anyway they did a good job, I mean it's obvious that they're not Floyd, but I don't think that this was their target; they wanted to make a tribute to one of the best bands in the world ... (read more)

Report this review (#94405) | Posted by Malve87 | Friday, October 13, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I'm sure the first thing that came to everyone's mind upon hearing about this cover was LaBrie singing a Floyd song. To many, it just dident fit. Well, here's my take on it. Yes, it sounds odd. The first few lines of Breathe sound downright bizzare on the first listen, but by the time you hear ... (read more)

Report this review (#82554) | Posted by | Monday, July 03, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars THIS ROCKS. For Floydians as well as for DT'ers, or Floyd-DT'ers. The Soundquality is AMAZING, not speaking of the sound itself, this sounds like the original! Unbelievable, you could think its the floyd (alright, considering LaBrie's voice, thats the only weak part :D). So just go out and b ... (read more)

Report this review (#78919) | Posted by DivisionBell | Sunday, May 21, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DREAM THEATER "Dark Side Of The Moon"