DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

Good, but non-essential

Buy DREAM THEATER Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2006

Disc 1
1. Speak To Me/Breathe (3:55)
2. On The Run (2:26)
3. Time (7:02)
4. The Great Gig in the Sky (4:35)
5. Money (6:35)
6. Us And Them (8:02)
7. Any Colour You Like (5:05)
8. Brain Damage (3:49)
9. Eclipse (2:48)

Disc 2
1. Echoes Pt. 1 (12:00)
2. One of These Days (6:24)
3. Sheep (9:42)
4. In the Flesh? (2:56)
5. Run Like Hell (1:58)
6. Hey You (4:49)
7. Comfortably Numb (7:22)

Search DREAM THEATER Dark Side Of The Moon lyrics

- Jordan Rudess / keyboards & lap steel guitar

With:
- Theresa Thomason / vocals
- Norbert Stachel / saxophone
- Derek Sherinian / keyboards (4, 5, & 6 of disc 2)
- Queensryche / special guests (7 of disc 2)

released at the April 1st 20th Anniversary show as a limited edition live 2-disc set.

Thanks to FragileDT for the addition
and to yodanoc for the last updates

DREAM THEATER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DREAM THEATER Dark Side Of The Moon Music

Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a MemoryMetropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory
Elektra 1999
OctavariumOctavarium
Atlantic 2005
A Dramatic Turn of Events (Special Edition) (CD+DVD)A Dramatic Turn of Events (Special Edition) (CD+DVD)
Roadrunner Records 2011
Train of ThoughtTrain of Thought
Elektra 2003
Change of SeasonsChange of Seasons
Atlantic 1995
FATES WARNING Perfect Symmetry CD 1989 ~NEW/SEALED~ DREAM THEATER, QUEENSRYCHE US $8.49 Buy It Now 1h 9m
DEREK SHERINIAN Inertia US CD Inside Out 2001 Dream Theater SEALED BRAND NEW !! US $24.90 Buy It Now 1h 13m
DREAM THEATER Images And Words US Atco CD 1992 Factory Sealed ! Free Shipping ! US $24.90 Buy It Now 1h 14m
DREAM THEATER Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence ELEKTRA US Double CD Sealed New ! US $39.90 Buy It Now 1h 15m
DREAM THEATER 'Illumination Theory' Vinyl LP Record Store Day RSD 2014 NEW US $37.71 Buy It Now 1h 20m
DREAM THEATER IMAGES AND WORDS vinyl ORIGINAL MEGARARE N.MINT queensryche fates US $100.00 Buy It Now 3h 53m
DREAM THEATER-Lot of 2 vintage adverts US $5.10 Buy It Now 3h 55m
DREAM THEATER-AWAKE US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 59m
DREAM THEATER-OCTAVARIUM US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 59m
DREAM THEATER Illumination Theory Picture Disc Vinyl 12" RSD 2014 NEW US $28.89 Buy It Now 5h 17m
DREAM THEATER / live at the marquee /JAPAN LTD CD US $17.99 Buy It Now 6h
Dream Theater -Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence Vinyl 2-LP Import 2013 New US $43.99 Buy It Now 6h 50m
Threshold - Psychedelicatessen (2001SPV-IOMR-Spec.Ed. slipcase 2CD)Dream Theater US $15.99 Buy It Now 7h 15m
DREAM THEATER Awake CD 11 Track Album, 7567-90126-2 (Disc Vg, Surface Marks But US $7.24 Buy It Now 8h 21m
DREAM THEATER - ILLUMINATION THEORY 12" PICTURE DISC RSD 2014 NEW MINT SEALED US $27.25 Buy It Now 9h 12m
derek sherinian - blood .. snake dream theater promo cd US $24.99 Buy It Now 9h 59m
DREAM THEATER ARTISTIC BAND LOGO BLACK T-SHIRT S,M,L,XL,2XL SIZE MEN US $14.99 [0 bids]
Dream Theater / Chaos in Motion 2007 - 2008 JAPAN 2DVD+3CD LIMITED OOP!!! T-A2 US $99.99 Buy It Now 10h 57m
Dream Theater / Once In A Live Time JAPAN 2CD ORG!!!!! D US $34.99 Buy It Now 11h
Rare Dream Theater - Score XOX 20th Anniversary World Tour Live Japan 3 CD NEW US $44.99 Buy It Now 11h 13m
BRAND NEW Octavarium by Dream Theater (CD, Jun-2005, Atlantic (Label)) US $13.97 Buy It Now 11h 29m
DREAM THEATER BLACK CLOUDS CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P! US $153.36 Buy It Now 12h 24m
DREAM.THEATER- systematic chaos(2LP) m-/m-/m- US $32.99 [0 bids]
DREAM.THEATER- BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS(2LP) m-/m-/m- US $32.99 [0 bids]
Dream Theater - Original Album Series: Awake / Falling Into Infin NEW CD US $19.84 Buy It Now 12h 30m
Dream Theater - Greatest Hit & 19 Other Cool Son NEW CD US $14.11 Buy It Now 12h 31m
DREAM THEATER LIVE SCENES NEW YORK CD GOLD DISC FREE PP US $153.36 Buy It Now 12h 37m
* Dream Theater - Change of Seasons [EP] US $5.50 Buy It Now 12h 38m
SHM CD - Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2 Japan NEW and SEALED WPCR 13487 US $135.00 Buy It Now 12h 45m
DREAM THEATER IMAGES AND WORDS CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P! US $153.36 Buy It Now 12h 49m
DREAM THEATER AWAKE CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P! US $153.36 Buy It Now 12h 49m
Dream Theater Metropolis PT.2 Scenes From A Memory Taiwan w/box 2-CD+Live Sealed US $69.99 [0 bids]
A Change of Seasons [EP] by Dream Theater (CD, Sep-1995, Elektra (Label)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
DREAM THEATER - A CHANGE OF SEASONS-CD US $0.99 [1 bids]
Dream Theater - Once In A Lifetime - Vinyl 4-LP Import 2013 New US $65.99 Buy It Now 14h 41m
Uncovered 2003-2005 DREAM THEATER CD US $52.83 Buy It Now 15h 27m
Dream Theater Systematic Chaos vinyl LP record prog NEW US $27.99 Buy It Now 15h 52m
The Majesty Demos - Ltd Dream Theater CD US $55.78 Buy It Now 15h 55m
Systematic Chaos by Dream Theater (CD, Jun-2007, ICRecords Made In Colombia) US $7.99 [0 bids]
Dream Theater / Score 20th Anniversary World Tour 180gm 4 x Vinyl LP MOV New US $54.45 Buy It Now 16h 9m
DREAM THEATER-S/T-JAPAN CD DVD H70 US $38.50 Buy It Now 17h 11m
Greatest Hit (....And 21 Other Pretty Cool Songs) by Dream Theater (CD,... US $9.00 Buy It Now 18h 40m
Images and Words by Dream Theater (CD, Feb-1992, Elektra (Label)) US $7.50 Buy It Now 18h 40m
Angra CD Temple Of Shadows Brazil Ed Avantasia Helloween Dream Theater US $14.99 Buy It Now 19h 7m
DREAM THEATER Through Her Eyes GERMANY CD EP live US $35.00 Buy It Now 19h 20m
Images and Words by Dream Theater (Cassette, Feb-1992, Elektra (Label)) US $7.99 [0 bids]
Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence - 2002 - Elektra - 2 CD Set US $2.75 [3 bids]
Dream Theater - Octavarium 180g Vinyl 2LP Record NEW & SEALED US $30.96 Buy It Now 21h 2m
Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings 180g Vinyl 2LP Record NEW & SEALED US $25.93 Buy It Now 21h 3m
Dream Theater: Black Clouds & Silver Linings [3CD/DVD/2LP 2009 Roadrunner BOX] US $104.99 [0 bids]
Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence + 1 Japan 2CD US $8.50 [0 bids]
cd-album, Dream Theater - A Change Of Seasons US $7.51 Buy It Now 21h 29m
DREAM THEATER ILLUMINATION THEORY RECORD STORE DAY RSD 2014 VINYL RECORD LP NEW US $39.49 [0 bids]
Dream Theater Octavarium Japan CD US $13.50 Buy It Now 21h 54m
Dream Theater Images and Words 12" LP US $32.50 [0 bids]
Dream Theater Metropolis Pt 2 12" LP Limited Sealed US $165.00 [0 bids]
ROSWELL SIX / TERRA INCOGNITA Japan CD Bonus LANA LANE Dream Theater Saga Asia US $2.25 [2 bids]
DREAM THEATER - When Dream And Day Reunite CD+DVD combo New Rare John Petrucci US $49.99 [0 bids]
JORDAN RUDESS / THE ROAD HOME Japan CD Dream Theater Winger Porcupine Tree OBI US $12.56 [8 bids]
MAJESTY DREAM THEATER DEMO CASSETTES AND WHEN DREAM AND DAY UNITE VINYL ALBUM US $900.00 Buy It Now 23h 15m
Dream Theater / Dream Theater SAME SELF TITLE S.T (STANDARD) CD New SEALED US $20.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Dream Theater ** GUITAR TABS * Software CD - (118 Songs) US $6.85 [0 bids]
DREAM THEATER - ORIGINAL ALBUM SERIES - 5CD - MINI LP COVER IN SLIPCASE - AS NEW US $12.27 [0 bids]
DREAM THEATER - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Deluxe Collector's Edition Box Set US $68.98 [0 bids]
DREAM THEATER / images and words /JAPAN LTD OBI US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Dreamscape - End of Silence CD Progressive Metal Dream Theater CD US $1.99 [0 bids]
Dream Theater Metropolis Pt 2 Scenes From A Memory CD US $8.01 Buy It Now 1 day
IGNIS FATUUS WHISPERS 2000 SELFRELEASE ARCTURUS DREAM THEATER SIEGES EVEN LETHAL US $48.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Dream Theater- Awake CD (1994 Album) Prog US $5.69 Buy It Now 1 day
Dream Theater Illumination Theory (Record Store Day Ltd 12" Picture Disc) New US $23.84 Buy It Now 1 day
WATCHTOWER-ENERGETIC DISASSEMBLY+CONTROL 1ST PRESS (METALLICA , DREAM THEATER US $150.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TRANSATLANTIC BRIDGE ACROSS FOREVER SPEC. RUSSIA EDITION SOYUZ DREAM THEATER US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER when dream and day unite LP 8 track with inner tiny tear on the sl US $64.74 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER once in a live time LP 23 track 4 album set on 180 gram vinyl in g US $51.11 Buy It Now 1 day
Scream Maker (Dream Theater) - new 2014 heavy rock CD US $8.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Porcupine Tree - Recordings 2xLP k-scope reissue prog rock rush dream theater US $28.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Best Of 2009 Classic Rock Mag Promo CD Dream Theater UFO Kiss Clutch Dollhouse US $3.39 Buy It Now 1 day
JAMES LABRIE Static Impulse CD ( of Dream Theater ) NEW US $25.55 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER a Change Of Seasons CD Japan OBI RARE ORIGINAL 1995 AMCY-885 US $9.50 [0 bids]
DREAM THEATER WHEN DREAM AND DAY UNITE JAPAN CD OOP US $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER LOST IN THE SKY DOUBLE LIVE PALASESTO MILANO ITALY 199 US $34.90 [0 bids]
DREAM THEATER Same CLASSIC CD Album GALLERY QUALITY FRAMED+EXPRESS GLOBAL SHIP US $68.08 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER ILLUMINATION THEORY 12" PICTURE DISC VINYL RECORD LTD RSD 2014 US $14.99 [0 bids]
DREAM THEATER - Instrumental 1 CD 1987 Very Rare +2 Limited Majesty US $49.99 [0 bids]
Live Metropolis, Pt. 2 by Dream Theater (CD, Nov-2001, 3 Discs, Elektra (Label)) US $87.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Dream Theater - Images and Words CD D 101129 Atco 92148-2 1992 2003 Complete US $5.25 Buy It Now 1 day
DOMINICI 2007 CD - 03 a Trilogy Part 2 - Dream Theater/Threshold/ US $8.50 [0 bids]
DREAM THEATER SIX DEGREES OF INNER TURBULENCE 2 CD SET US $7.16 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER 'Falling Into Infinity' (CD) US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER 'Octavarium' (CD) US $12.50 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER FALLING INTO INFINITY SEALED CD US $5.34 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER AWAKE SEALED CD NEW US $5.34 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER - Falling Into Infinity Japan SHM CD / WPCR-13486 / OOP / SOLD OUT US $80.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Images and Words by Dream Theater (CD, Feb-1992, Elektra (Label)) US $1.05 [2 bids]
DREAM THEATER AWAKE MINI-LP CD (WITH OBI) NEW US $16.97 Buy It Now 1 day
DREAM THEATER IMAGES AND WORDS MINI-LP CD (WITH OBI) NEW US $16.96 Buy It Now 1 day
Awake by Dream Theater (CD, Oct-1994, Elektra (Label)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
dream theater cd US $2.30 [3 bids]
Platypus Ice Cycles (CD, 2000) Kings X, Ty Tabor, Dream Theater US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Falling into Infinity by Dream Theater (CD, Sep-1997, Elektra (Label)) US $0.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy DREAM THEATER music online Buy DREAM THEATER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DREAM THEATER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DREAM THEATER Dark Side Of The Moon ratings distribution

DREAM THEATER Dark Side Of The Moon reviews

Review by Gatot
4 stars It's really like Pink Floyd!

I have enjoyed rock music since I was a 14-year old boy in a small city in Indonesia. At that time there were many cassette offerings with various kind of music. Especially for rock music there were varieties of groups from Deep Purple to King Crimson. I knew Pink Floyd "Dark Side of The Moon" sometime in 1975 and really amazed with the kind of music the band plays. Because I was more familiar with straight rock, I could enjoy "Money" and "Time" easily without any barriers at all. In fact, I used "Time" as my wake up call using a timer. When this album was available in CD format, I purchased it right away and I think it was some time in the end of 80s. I did not have the CD player because I could not afford it. With this CD I also purchased Marillion's "Misplaced Childhood" even though I already had the LP.

Another one or two years later I could afford to buy a CD player and I did enjoy Dark Side of The Moon very much. The album actually has no complex arrangement at all but it does have an awesome soundscape and effects. I admire this album from this standpoint as well as the tight composition. I was kind like having an imagination that this album would be very tough to be emulated the same as the studio album because it has varied effects and wonderful soundscapes. In fact, in my collection of laser disc that features Pink Floyd live, performing some songs of Dark Side of The Moon, I could not sense the nuance and "soul" of the album on live performance (even by Pink Floyd themselves!).

But ... just couple of weeks ago I had a chance to enjoy this live set by Dream Theater and it BLEW me away at first spin.

WHY?

First off, Dream Theater can be considered asthe most popular progressive band in the world today. Look at this page and the post at the top right of HOME page where its latest album "Systematic Chaos" has been the most popular album with hundred plus reviews where the abum has just officially been released early June 2007. Many youngsters think nowadays that progressive music is Dream Theater while Dream Theater is progressive music. That's FACT that we all cannot deny. It seems awkward and weird if you find youngsters who claim as they like rock music but they don't know Dream Theater. Give me a break!Their music is really specific and they have their own character. No one would doubt their reputation.

Second, Pink Floyd is a legendary progressive band who laid their strong foundation since the psychedelic era of end 60s. The Dark Side of The Moon represents the band's ultimate achievement as it stayed for long period of time at Billboards top chart. Anyone who love rock music since 70s or 80s period would definitely know who Pink Floyd is.

Third, Dream Theater performed (live) Pink Floyd music wholeheartedly so that it created very positive image for the band. I would say that their performance for Dark Side of The Moon is very close to perfect. The Dark Side of The Moon was presented in almost exactly the same with what I listened to it during my childhood. I was really amazed on how Portnoy switched his style completely to have a drum sound which is very very close to Nick Mason's. Petrucci also retains his self-indulgent through emulating David Gilmour's guitar sound. Jordan Rudess also plays very similar like Rick Wright. I guess John Myung plays standard 4-string bass for this performance. All add up beautifully in PINK FLOYD's SOUND! In addition, LaBrie vocal is of course cannot deny that it's not as closer to Roger or Dave. But that's okay because it's a God given thing. The track that I was affraid the band could not perform well was "The Great Gig In The Sky". I was wrong! The band performed wonderfully with additional lead vocal by Theresa Thomasson. WOW!!!!

Fourth, covering legendary band like Pink Floyd means to me that Dream Theater (with its big name and brand) appreciates the legendary band (PINK FLOYD). On the other side of the coin, this cover version will give a chance for younger people to know one of the world's best progressive bands in the 70s that most of us must remember.

On top of the Dark Side of The Moon, the band also covers other Pink Floyd tracks. "Echoes" is performed in a close perfection. The toughest thing is "Comfortably Numb" especially during openig track with its unique ambient. This version cannot get the nuance very well even though the overall performance is excellent.

Overall, this is an excellent addition to any prog music collection. It's a MUST have for any of you who love prog music. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#126032) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 16, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars The "DSOTM" part of this release was already available for a long time before the official release on the Internet (at least the Amsterdam show).

The band decided to play several albums in full after their original "DT" set when they would play several gigs in the same town. "Metallica" with "Master Of Puppets" and "Iron Maiden" with "The Number Of Te Beast" would be the first ones.

"Dream Theater" has often incorporated covers in their live sets (Elton John, Purple, FLoyd...). But to play the full of "DSOTM", such a lengendary prog album was kind of a daunting task.

And I have to say that it is a very good cover effort. Of course, I prefer a band as "The Machine" whi is one of the best Floyd cover band on the road because their approach is probably more faithful in spirit and more convincing. Bizzarely, the audience react quite well to these numbers (which does not really belong to "Dream Theater" repertoire).

The other songs are OK (as any professional cover band could do). Somewhat harder like "One Of These Days" (some will say massacred).

"DT" has now the fame of these covers. And again, they are doing quite right. "Time", and "Us & Them" are very well rendered.

One song of the second CD (not available on the first boot one) is the absolutely unexpected "Echoes". If there was one song that one wouln't have thought of being played by "Dream Theater" it is definitively "Echoes". It is one of my top three Floyd song (with ASOS and "SOYCD"). Such a version is also available from "Mostly Autumn. To be honest (and this always have been my policy) this version is ...very good. What else can I say ? I really can't tell it is bullsh.t when it isn't, right ?

"In The Flesh" is an old story already. It was featured on "A Change Of Season". The only poor rendition (IMO) is "Run Like Hell".

One personal comment. It sounds strange to me that the hords of "DT" fans (from 200 to 500 per album) are so quiet about this release (two reviews with comments). As if they are shy that their beloved band produced such a release. Of course, it won't convert "DT" into a full progressive band (which they definitely not are and never will be).

Still, this is a good example of the band's ability. I only wish that they will perform the full of "Made In Japan" in their live set that I am going to attend next Thursday (they already did this; so I am not talking about science-fiction).

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#141210) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 30, 2007

Review by russellk
2 stars Ugh.

This isn't pretty. DREAM THEATER play PINK FLOYD. As I began listening I found myself asking WHY? Why on earth would they do this? And, given they have, why does it sound so incredibly cold? Hoiw did they manage to suck all the life out of the record?

See, PINK FLOYD were the epitome of the British dichotomy: reserved and precise on the one hand, as exemplified by their carefully constructed sound; repressively, sphincter-tighteningly angry as only the Brits can get (a la John Cleese) in their lyrics and GILMOUR'S passionate guitar solos.

DREAM THEATER capture none of that. All they do is play the notes (well) and sing (badly, oh dear, LABRIE really finds singing difficult, doesn't he). But that doesn't make music. Now I'm no DREAM THEATER basher. For proof, check out my DT reviews. But I can't abide this sort of exercise. Yes, play some live covers, even some FLOYD if you must, though plainly you don't understand the music. Oh, but please, don't release it.

This really is a poor, one-star effort. But it will appeal to fans, so it has to be awarded two stars.

Send comments to russellk (BETA) | Report this review (#141411) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 01, 2007

Review by chopper
3 stars I'm no expert on Dream Theater but I was intrigued to hear what they would make of this classic of classic prog albums. Well, it's almost an exact copy, even down to using the same sound effects of clocks etc. The music of the original album is fairly starightforward so there's not much room for them to show off here, except for Petrucci in the Time and Money solos (which he does pretty well). The only time the band really lets rip is in Brain Damage.

All in all it's well done but it's so similar to the original that you wonder why they released it and whether people would listen to this in favour of the original. Full marks to the female singer for a great version of Great Gig in the Sky!

Send comments to chopper (BETA) | Report this review (#161275) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 08, 2008

Review by J-Man
3 stars 3.5 stars really!

This album is Dream Theater's version of one of the most recognizable and famous albums in the prog community and beyond. This is one of the best bands taking on this album. The result is much better than I thought. I thought a bunch of factors combined could somewhat mess up the album. For the most part, that doesn't happen.

However, there are a couple of times this happens. It's obvious that James LaBrie's voice doesn't fit this style. Sometimes it is worse than others though. It's also obvious that JP's guitar sound isn't at all similar to David Gilmour's style. It's obvious that Petrucci tries to sound a little bit like Gilmour, but that is somewhat a disappointment in itself. I would have liked them to change up the music to their style a little more, but instead it sounds almost the same. Even the sound effects are the same.

With that said, everything is still played well and is overall very good. The recording quality is also pretty good for a bootleg. I haven't mentioned Disc 2 yet. That contains a few sections from The Wall, as well as stuff from various other albums. If you are a die hard Pink Floyd fan or a die hard DT fan, you might be a little disappointment. However, from whatever camp you are in, you can't deny that this is a great version of great work from a classic prog band.

3.5/5 stars.

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#200745) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 26, 2009

Review by jampa17
4 stars The Prog band of the late 90's covering the Prog band of the 70's. A great result.

I know there's many people that don't see anything similar between this two bands (myself included) but it's not a secret that Dream Theater guys are completely fans of the Floyds. They have covered one Metallica's album as well as one Iron Maiden, and it was about time to cover a more progressive release.

For instance, I really think that this live version brings a lot more "life" to the album. The intensity of the crowd and the strength of DT gave new life and it was great. The original album is one of the most recommended albums in history of prog rock and I don't really felt it that great. I know it's maybe good for the moment it was made, but I do find it too paced and slow, and sometimes is good and the Floyds bluesy edge is great for some moods, but there's nothing impressive about this record in particular. That being said, I do want to say it's not a bad album, just average for me. So, this live version is a lot more interesting because is more intense and fresh, so it was nice to hear. I know Mike Portnoy was a lot worry to make a worthy tribute, and they really succeeded at it.

The guest players made a great performance along with DT. Teresa Thomason brought a lot of life with her magical and powerful voice, as well as the sax player did a wonderful job covering the sax solo on the song Money.

Now, it's evident that James Labrie's voice is not the best match to this style of music. He didn't made a bad interpretation, but it's not like the original version. Not even close. Again, for me that's not bad, I think he made a good job and he is the original voice of DT, so if you get it as a cover version more than a copy version, is up to you to understand the goal of a cover album.

Good performance indeed and the live energy is all there. I really recommend this peace for any Pink Floyd fan that is not use to DT, it's a good place to start. And the quality of sound is great for being a bootleg. DT fans should check this out as well. 4 stars is fair. A very different side, a obscure side, a Dark Side of Dream Theater that any fan should discover.

Send comments to jampa17 (BETA) | Report this review (#273755) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 23, 2010

2 stars I remember showing my daughter this cd just after I bought it and she just looked at me and said "Why?". Now I know why she said that (haha). At the time I just figured it would be cool to hear these guys cover one of my all-time favourite albums because of how well these guys play as evidenced on the "Change Of Seasons" EP. What I should have considered is that PINK FLOYD is different than most bands.Their music is about ideas, atmosphere and mood.These things are more difficult to copy than complex music for a band like DREAM THEATER. It starts off great with the sound of the crowd in anticipation, then hearing that heartbeat.The crowd claps along then the other samples come in like spoken word samples which sound like the real thing right from FLOYD.Then that dreamy and spacey music kicks in and it all sounds so good. LaBrie doesn't sound so bad at first but as this plays out it's clear his vocals are a distraction for me.What's worse is the fact that they don't always use the real FLOYD samples from here on out, and instead try to copy them and the results aren't pretty. Best part of the whole album is Theresa Thomason singing on "The Great Gig In The Sky". My God ! The loudest ovation on here is reserved for her when she finishes and for good reason. This is a fans only rating in my opinion and nothing more. Now where's my real "Dark Side Of The Moon" album ?

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#447956) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 14, 2011

4 stars So Dark Side of the Moon is one of the most appraised albums from Rock and Prog. But this is the version by Dream Theater, not Pink Floyd... well, it's almost the same album anyway, just about all of it is played the same way as in the original release. And ofcourse it's all great. Still, ... (read more)

Report this review (#281054) | Posted by Dellinger | Saturday, May 08, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Being the die hard Floyd fan that I am, it was pretty hard to hear DSotM being performed by anybody other than Pink Floyd. With that being said, Dream Theater did better than I expected them to. I found that they were able to stay very true to the album and did some good covers, although nothing ... (read more)

Report this review (#251819) | Posted by Awake | Thursday, November 19, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars As all good fans of both Floyd and Dream Theater, I've been trying to find this album ever since I learned it exsisted. And find it I did at a local used record store! I was happer then a Progger in a used record store (...wait...). Dream Theater does a wonderful job at capturing the essents ... (read more)

Report this review (#174056) | Posted by mothershabooboo | Monday, June 16, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars well....this album is definitely something that you'd like to listen to someday, being a DT and Floyd fan....anyway they did a good job, I mean it's obvious that they're not Floyd, but I don't think that this was their target; they wanted to make a tribute to one of the best bands in the world ... (read more)

Report this review (#94405) | Posted by Malve87 | Friday, October 13, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I'm sure the first thing that came to everyone's mind upon hearing about this cover was LaBrie singing a Floyd song. To many, it just dident fit. Well, here's my take on it. Yes, it sounds odd. The first few lines of Breathe sound downright bizzare on the first listen, but by the time you hear ... (read more)

Report this review (#82554) | Posted by | Monday, July 03, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars THIS ROCKS. For Floydians as well as for DT'ers, or Floyd-DT'ers. The Soundquality is AMAZING, not speaking of the sound itself, this sounds like the original! Unbelievable, you could think its the floyd (alright, considering LaBrie's voice, thats the only weak part :D). So just go out and b ... (read more)

Report this review (#78919) | Posted by DivisionBell | Sunday, May 21, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DREAM THEATER "Dark Side Of The Moon"